My chicks dont like me

HungryWolf

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
They are 2 weeks old and i have 1 blak and 2 golden ones, the golden ones always run away and tweet a ton when i pick them up, the black one likes it

Why do the goldies hate being picked up so much, did i start pickeing them up to early,? i started when they were 5 days

I started on day 1, some just like to be picked up, others don't
idunno.gif
. Just the way chickens are. When I pick mine up, I cup my hand over their head and they settle down and nestle in pretty quick.

Mine are scared of me too and we've had them nearly one month. My guess is my reaching into the brooder from overhead scares them (instinct).

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

The cupping their head kind of helps, that 1 golden that we think is a male is still really squirmy

My chicks didn't like me, either. Now they're almost two months, and they still shy away, but not as much as before.

Thye have to grow to like you. Just be calm and friendly and gain their trust.

I have 24 chickies and I go in ck on them several times a day and also handle them. I'm new at this, but I've found out some of them like it and some of them don't.
caf.gif
My chickies are 10 days old and I have several breeds all pullets.

The cupping their head kind of helps, that 1 golden that we think is a male is still really squirmy

Good to hear, I think they like to be secure. Kind of like when a hen will bunch them all under her and keep them warm and secure. Reminds me of swaddling a new born baby.

The chicks go through stages, when they are a few days old they arnt afraid, after that everytime I go in the pin you wouls think I am killing them, and this lasts for months and finally they come around.

I think you have to consider the breed of chicken as well. Lighter breeds tend to be more flighty and not quite as social with people as say a cochin or a wyandotte or another heavy type bird. They're also each going to have individual personalities and some just prefer a hands off relationship.

Don't stress them out by trying to handle them constantly. Try tempting them with some greens and forage. Lay your hands in the brooder but don't try and pick them up. Just let the chicks cruise around and perhaps they will mellow over time.

...just my two cents....good luck! :)

I noticed that now that we spend lots of time in the yard close to the chicks but not handling them they are a lot calmer around us. They are all 10 weeks old now. The two RIR's love to be handled and come right to us. The Morans has to be caught but once we have her will perch on us for as long as we will let her. The Wellsummer (my favorite) is unpredictable. and both Buff Orps barley tolerate being held unless we have worms for them in which case they are all over us.

Back
Top Bottom