My chick's face/head stinks like composting vegetables

fluffpuffgerbil

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Battle Ground, SW Washington
I don't know what that's about except for the fact I gave them a plate of treats yesterday, one of them being a bunch of cut up spinach. I know Pepper is the piggiest of them all, always trying to eat all the food first, but none of the other chicks stink like rotting vegetables. It's actually a horrible smell and I don't want her to sit on me because of it. She gets up by my shoulder and breathes on my face and it smells so terrible. She's completely healthy, clear eyes, nose, etc, chirps, jumps around, chest bumps the others, sits on me, eats, drinks, etc, her head and face just stink like nasty greens for some reason.
Anyone know what might cause this?
Up by the back her neck only faintly smells like that, and her back doesn't. And to smell it on her neck, I had to put my nose all the way into her fluff. I can only think that she ate so much spinach she has horrible spinach breath and it's making her body smell like it too lol

She has a great appetite still, too

PS, chicks don't like being grabbed and smelled

Sounds like a classic case of spinach breath.
roll.png

Well it definitely stinks! I didn't know it would be so horrible! Pepper must have eaten a lot more than the others.... no one else has spinach breath. And all poor Pepper wants to do is sit on my shoulder while I'm on the computer

Do they have access to grit? If not, it could be rotting and stinking.

Don't feed too much spinach, it has chemicals in it that block calcium absorption. I prefer collard, mustard, or turnip greens.
Kale also has this particular chemical that blocks calcium absorption.

Yeah they have contractor's sand in a 6qt rubbermaid tote which they dustbathe in and I see them eating it. I've been giving them treats like grass and eggs mostly, and some mealworms and they've not had any problems. When I gave them spinach, I also gave them some banana, shredded carrots, and mealworms(I felt like spoiling them, and they had a lot of fun). I only fed the spinach that time. I have bearded dragons who can't have much spinach or kale because of how much vit. A I think it has for the reason of the calcium stuff.But they have to eat a LOT to do much damage. I've given them mustard greens, too and they're fine with them.

And they only ate it yesterday and it wasn't long afterwards she stunk, so it might just be her breath.

Back
Top Bottom