My chicks hatched i dnt know if its good or bad pics inside

Thanx i was just thinking of sugar water im just going to try it now i feel so sorry for it at the moment i dont thin ki wil sleep now i feel guilty.

I am sure you will do what you can. And if they don't make it you cant be too hard on yourself. You did the best you could. If you have yogurt with live cultures that would be great. Any type of electrolytes, not sure what it would be called in the UK but something with vitamins and minerals and electrolytes is good. The local feed store probably has the little packet like I got to add to the water? Good luck and keep us posted.

Marie

Here is my chick before: could not move, very weak and limp.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P4030137.jpg

And here is the next day:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P4030153.jpg

So sometimes they just need more time to pep up.

Last edited:
aww it looks so cute mine is still wet at the moment it started to stick a bit so i had to wet it down a bit again the others are taking there time to fluff up like yours. I might be going to a poltry show on saturday so if i see some chicks a might get some to go with them so thers more that just 3. Iv also got 5 guinefowl eggs to hatch on mon im going to make sure i have plenty of damp things in the bator for then.

Hi gav,
What I can see from your pics is that you need to get some paper towels or at the least newspaper down on the surface. It appears as if the little yellow chick is heading for spraddle leg. You see how far apart the legs are?

You did fine helping them. There is NOTHING wrong with helping chicks out if you know there may have been humidity issues. In the threads that I posted for you the other day, I stated that not every case where the chick needs help is due to "bad genetics". I think that term is used too broadly in relation to hatching chicks. When HUMANS are incubating the eggs, and not mamma hen, then we HUMANS can sometimes mess things up unknowingly. Not every struggling chick has bad genes. Good grief-that would be like saying that human babies that need help out of the womb are bad genetically and shouldn't have intervention during the birth process. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that require intervention.

As far as washing the blood off, I would leave it alone for now. If the chick is not physically affected and others are not pecking it, then I would take the approach of-less handling the better if it is weak.

Electrolytes can be mixed at a bit less than 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon of water.

best wishes:)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have chicks.....I reckon after all you've been through you (and the chick) need something a little stronger than water with electrolites in!

Well done......Chrissie
smile.png

Hi today the 3 chick are doing fine they are wandering ariund the brooder but what diffrence would paper towels do to the yellow chick if i have already got bedding down is there a problem with it? I did nitice it but i thought it would just start to stand normaly after a bit but its still the same but it can walk around the same.

As for the chick in the incubator its still weak and can not stand but it will chirp and drag its self around and open its eyes sometimes. Iv been giveing it water with mushed up chick crumb in and it likes it its always asking for more and opening its beak for it from the sringe but it is still very weak and im not sure waht ro do with it iv got it in the brooder in a smaller box so the others carn get to it but its all hardish and hasnt fluffed should i damp it with a sponge to slean it off and get any dried gunge off it?

I would keep doing what you are doing. Did you get some electrolytes? I think that would be better than sugar water. And adding the feed like you are is a great idea. You could try to use a damp warm cloth to soften up some of the dry egg stuff on the chick but be careful not to chill it too much. As long as it is not binding the chick or hurting the chick, I would not do much of that until it is stronger. It may take some time. I don't know about the bedding you have down but it does not look slippery? I don't think it will last long if it is absorbant because those critters poop a lot. I am using cedar shavings with paper towels over that until they get their sea legs so to speak and learn to no eat the shavings. Besides it is easier for them to get the food if it comes out of the feeder for now. Hope all continue to improve. Keep us posted.

Marie

No i didnt get any of the electrolytes its hard for me to get to things likr that where i live i did go and see the lady i rent land off shes always hatching chick and she said the best thing to do it to mix water and the food instread of sugar as the food (chick crunb) has the right things in it the chick will need to grow. It seems a bit better now i put it in the brooder i think it was geting a bot to warm and stuffy for it in the incubator now it can breath a bit better hopefully.

Sounds like you are doing all you can. Just keep up the good work. You are right, it probably can breathe better now and will probably get stronger by the day.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom