My chicks keep dying on day 21

scbatz33

No Vacancy, Belfry Full
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
South GA
I have just finished hatch #4 - this is the second batch of shipped eggs vs. the first two from my hens. Hatch 3 had 4 of 15 eggs make it to day 21. All four were peeping like mad on day 20 and 21. two hatched out on their own. The other two were suffocated in the shell the morning of day 22. Perfectly formed. Completely grown...not drowned, suffocated. They never seemed to try to get out.

Hatch 4 - last night 10:30 6 peeping/scratching chicks. This morning really early 1 hatched. I get up around 7 am. No action from 3. two still peeping. I poked a hole in the eggs. 3 dead, perfectly formed, completely devloped. 1 Hatched with alot of help. 1 was deformed (no top beak, undersized, still had yolk sac). today was also day 22.

Here is the thing I have observed, the egg tooth on all of these chicks seems very very small. My first two chicks were like little rhinos. The chicks that did hatch seemed weak and took far longer to get moving than my own chicks. Also, the chicks that died did not seem to be in proper position to find the air sac. Both sets of eggs came from the same place and I have one more set in the incubator!

I am so worried about the last hatch. I feel like, if any of them make it to 21 days that I will have to intervene. Why don't these babies know how to get out of the egg?

All the eggs were in a hovabator 1588 with egg turner. I candled at 10 and 15. They were put in the hatcher with temp around 100 and humidity around 65%. There was some fluctuation but not anything major.

I realize shipped eggs have a bad time. I just don't understand how these babies can't seem to get out of the shells. Does anyone have any advice?

A possiblity is that the humidity is too high for days 1-18 if it is at 65%.
The air cell my be too small due to not losing enough moisture during that time period.
Then the chicks fill up the egg too much and cannot move around in the egg well enough to hatch.
I'm sure folks with more knowledge will chime in on this.
Carolyn

Sorry I misunderstood, what was your humidity days 1-18?

Last edited:
The humidity in the hatcher is 65, not the incubator. The air sacs seem of good size - from what I've seen on the information websites. I don't think it's the incubator.

I think it's the eggs. I have 3 eggs from another source in the hatcher as well and those chicks are doing well.

I'm doing my first batch of shipped eggs along with some of our own.
It will be interesting to see what happens since they will be subjected to the same conditions.
I hope this hatch goes well for you.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Also, hoping someone has had a similar experience and can give you some good advice, too.
Carolyn

I don't know! The 1588 has a fan. The hatcher - LG does not.

I candled my next couple sets - mind you they were all shipped eggs.

Hatch 6 12 eggs, only 3 developing. All the others quit at a week or so. These eggs were not wrapped super well and I had a couple smashed.

Hatch 7 was replacement eggs..of the 4 none developed past day 7. Shipped from clear cross country.

Hatch 8 - my last set from the same lady as hatch 3 and 4 - of the 15 6 are definately growing, 5 are iffy, 3 were not fertile and one was a blood ring.

Hatch 9 shipped cross country then remailed to me (sent to wrong address) the box looked like USPS has drop kicked it 2 were smashed. so of the 12 surviving 11 are still good.

These by the way are all orpington eggs.

Hatch 10 - silver laced polish - all 8 are veined nicely on day7!

maybe it's the shipping. Maybe these orpingtons are just not very hardy? Three of the people I bought from all claim to have birds from the same source. Could this be a genetics/inbreeding issue? There are not alot of the BBS Orpingtons on the market.

It's just frustrating knowing how much I have spent on eggs and what my results are at this point.

I have discovered that humidity during hatching over 55% is just too high for my hatches. But, it depends on so much - climate plays a big role.

My humidity during incubation this season has been really sporadic (human errors). BUT, if I keep the humidity right at 55%, don't open the bator, I still get super hatches.

Quote:
YOu know, the first hatch I didn't even think about humidity. The second I kept it at about 60 and he was fine.

These last two almost seem too dry there is no water in teh air sac. Like I said before they aren't drowning as I have heard people talk about on here. They simply can't seem to figure out how to get out.

Hatch 3 peeped for litterally 2 full days! But only 2 pipped.
I wonder if your higher elevation has anything to do with it. Do you find your air to be dry?

Back
Top Bottom