My chicks seem kind of crazy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nnash2, Mar 21, 2013.

1. nnash2

nnash2 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Newbie here:) When we first got our chicks about a week and a half ago they were active but not spazzy. We could hold them all easily and did so daily in an attempt to make them friendly. Well they're almost two weeks old now and just seem crazy! Whenever we go up to their box they freak out and start jumping on each other and kinda trying to get away from us. They also have decided they don't like to be held and, some more than others, try to jump out of our hands by flapping their wings like crazy, is this just normal as they get older and loose their baby chick cuddly-ness? Is there anything I can do to make them like us more and not be so jumpy when we come around? Thanks!!

2. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Mine are three weeks old and act just like that. It is normal because they are playing and realize they have wings, so it is good for them. Also, if you want them tame just hold them everyday and hold their wings down so they can't fly away and they should calm right down. I hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Holding them against your body and placing one hand on their back over their wings so they can't flap seems to calm them. I think they get warm too and like it. Some will like being held more than others. There is a teenage phase they go through later also when they go even crazier. Most will calm down when they mature and start laying.They all will have different personalities when grown.

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Yeah that is normal LOL if you turn ours over they would fall asleep LOL. now some just jump on our hands like parrots. We switched them to a bigger brooder now that they are 4 weeks but before is seemed like they were trying to jump out the brooder.

5. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I hatched 3 of my own and then bought 8 more the same age from a local store. The 8 are crazy when I even get near the box... They are all about 1 week old. My 3 just dance around like nothing is going on. When I put my hand in the box the 8 run behind the food in the corner to hide and my 3 come right up to me wanting to be pet on their chests. What a difference it makes to hatch them yourself.

6. nnash2

nnash2 New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Okay so I don't have crazy chickens, good to know! Haha thanks for your responses!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by