My chicks stink beyond stink

gemd

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
N. TEXAS
I've had chicks before so I'm baffled. Somehow they turned their indoor brooder into an inch thick of just....goo. poo and goop that stinks worse than my outdoor hens whose run has endired 5" rain in two days. I cleaned the little chick brooder and in less than a week it's worse,as stated, than the run
Maybe it's old food and spilled water too, addongpt the reel, I dunno but my other chicks didn't do this. And so now my chicks are covered with speckled good, too. So I cleaned the brooder but it all still reeks. I have never smelled such a vile stench. How can I clean them? It's cold ish where they are (60-70) so I don't want. Them catching cold from being clean but wet.and I can't clean out the brooder more than scraping the goop because I have nowhere else to put them or way to clean it since it's dumping rain out...no way to dry the brooder. Taking and any and all advice thank you! Their outdoor living comes in the mail in A week or so...phew!

How many chicks and age? 6: born April 5-10th
Size of brooder? About 2x6 or so, 3' high
Type of bedding? Pine shavings
Type of feeder and waterer? The ones that come with basic kits as in am upside down plastic jar with a plastic saucer for water, triangular prism feeder.
Are the dishes elevated?np
Can you set those in an old baking sheet to see if they are playing in the water? Good idea

At 2x6 floor space a cookie sheet really helps contain wet mess.

At a month+ in age raise the feeder and water up to 4-5 inches if large fowl 3-4 if bantams. It makes it harder to bill out the contents.

Make sure the dishes are on the cool end of the brooder. That will slow any fermentation of damp spilled feed.

At 2x6 floor space a cookie sheet really helps contain wet mess.

At a month+ in age raise the feeder and water up to 4-5 inches if large fowl 3-4 if bantams. It makes it harder to bill out the contents.

Make sure the dishes are on the cool end of the brooder. That will slow any fermentation of damp spilled feed.
How do I ensure the drink and food is raised but not getting knocked over?

Back
Top Bottom