My chicks stink beyond stink

For your long feeder zip tying it to a couple bricks should do the trick. No bricks? Maybe a piece of 2x4 screwed to legs short pieces of 2x4 at a 90° to make anti tip legs.

The water is trickier. Usually by the time mine are needing the water elevated I am using a one gallon water dish so it is to heavy for them to tip.

For your long feeder zip tying it to a couple bricks should do the trick. No bricks? Maybe a piece of 2x4 screwed to legs short pieces of 2x4 at a 90° to make anti tip legs.

The water is trickier. Usually by the time mine are needing the water elevated I am using a one gallon water dish so it is to heavy for them to tip.
I've got bricks and ties, yay!

Here's mine, for what it's worth.
I just put another waterer in the brooder like the one in the main coop. My food is also elevated in both pens. Hope this may help you with how to elevate.

Attachments

• 20210516_190055.jpg
    20210516_190055.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210516_190046.jpg
    20210516_190046.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 29
I just moved my chicks (29)out to the coop last weekend .
After they were 4 days old I cleaned out my brooder Daily,(fresh shavings on new newspaper)
I never have chicks in the house more than 2 weeks. They just create to much dust noise and stink when they grow. I brood in a cardboard box with no bottom. Multi layers of newspaper, just roll up and remove about 3 layers each day. Works well for me.
Dont know how Many chicks we are talking about here,, but go get a big cardboard box from grocery or hardware store to transfer chicks to while you do a deep clean on the brooder.
Do it every day until till you get them outside.
Good luck!
My brooder set up
20210501_093658.jpg

Can you build perches or something elevated for them to sleep on? That would get them out of sitting in it.

How delicate are they and developed are their feathers? Maybe let the rain clean your chicks one at a time, dry them off, and then get them into warmth? Do you have a heat source? I put my indoor chicken in the rain sometimes for 10 seconds if he needs a bath.

Last edited:
We have had so much rain recently our ground is saturated if the sky isn't. they're nearly full feathered but not quite. This weekend they hopefully can at least be outside for a bit while I scour their brooder clean.

I've had chicks before so I'm baffled. Somehow they turned their indoor brooder into an inch thick of just....goo. poo and goop that stinks worse than my outdoor hens whose run has endired 5" rain in two days. I cleaned the little chick brooder and in less than a week it's worse,as stated, than the run
Maybe it's old food and spilled water too, addongpt the reel, I dunno but my other chicks didn't do this. And so now my chicks are covered with speckled good, too. So I cleaned the brooder but it all still reeks. I have never smelled such a vile stench. How can I clean them? It's cold ish where they are (60-70) so I don't want. Them catching cold from being clean but wet.and I can't clean out the brooder more than scraping the goop because I have nowhere else to put them or way to clean it since it's dumping rain out...no way to dry the brooder. Taking and any and all advice thank you! Their outdoor living comes in the mail in A week or so...phew!
They probably have an infection

I've had chicks before so I'm baffled. Somehow they turned their indoor brooder into an inch thick of just....goo. poo and goop that stinks worse than my outdoor hens whose run has endired 5" rain in two days. I cleaned the little chick brooder and in less than a week it's worse,as stated, than the run
Maybe it's old food and spilled water too, addongpt the reel, I dunno but my other chicks didn't do this. And so now my chicks are covered with speckled good, too. So I cleaned the brooder but it all still reeks. I have never smelled such a vile stench. How can I clean them? It's cold ish where they are (60-70) so I don't want. Them catching cold from being clean but wet.and I can't clean out the brooder more than scraping the goop because I have nowhere else to put them or way to clean it since it's dumping rain out...no way to dry the brooder. Taking and any and all advice thank you! Their outdoor living comes in the mail in A week or so...phew!
Don't know your layout but we have an enclosed coop with roosting bars inside and on the side, two rows of nests. Most of the time our girls are inside, they either are in the nest resting or laying, and at other times they are on the bars. We close the door at night and open in early morning so they can spend most of their day in the secure run, or on occasion, free ranging. I save large cardboard boxes and cut flat flooring for under the roosting bars, and over the metal hardware cloth that is the flooring. Under the hardware cloth is an open area about 4 foot tall, so there is air circulation. Every couple weeks, I just have to fold up the cardboard and toss it away. Before I toss it, I use a wire brush and scraper to scoop any poop and feathers from any other area that has litter onto the cardboard. That keeps the majority clean. I also go to the outside access to nests and scoop out any stray poop and feathers or if the wood chips look dirty. That keeps the nests clean also until I do the routine replacing the chips and D Earth powder. That seems to work for us, so hope that helps a bit. We have been lucky with no parasite or bug problems too.

Amprolium in the feed. It completely changed the "aroma" from sickening stench of some birds I had to fresh yoghurt. Sounds to me like a bacterial issue but I am no doctor. Just guessing.

Back
Top Bottom