My chicks

babbles

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Australia
My chicks are hatching today and I don't know how to hatch them:/. will any die or get squashed.
and do they eat their egg yolk I don't know what to do.And can you please give me some names

Hang on, are you hatching in an incubator or under a broody hen? Either way it's unlikely they will get squashed. Hens do this instinctively and they know to be careful.

You don't have to hatch them or help them hatch unless it's obvious that they need help. But that doesn't happen often. I've hatched many chicks and I seldom needed to intervene. Keep in mind that they do take awhile to hatch from pip to finish, some take up to 24 hours, so don't rush to help if there's no chick hours after it pipped through the shell. Here's a very good article about hatching and intervention (if needed) that you can look at:

[Article] Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching

The chick absorbs the yolk in the egg just before it hatches and lives off that for up to 3 days. They usually do this after they pipped through the shell and the yolk should be absorbed and their navels sealed before they complete the hatch. If for some reason the chick completes the hatch before finishing this process leave it in the incubator (if you're using one) and keep the humidity high. But this also happens seldom, so don't worry.

If you are using an incubator leave them be, don't open the door unless you absolutely have to. Once he chicks have hatched they can stay in there for a day or so. Don't take them out before they are dry and fluffed up.

Good luck with your hatch!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom