My chooks have... lice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poliwag, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I found these creamy coloured bugs on my chooks. I am not sure what they are. I thought they were lice but now I am not so sure [​IMG]

I would take a picture of it but I am not going back in there! I totally freaked and took a shower and washed my hair >.<

I only saw 2, one on one chook and one on another. As far as I can tell, they are not covered in the things. I had trouble finding anymore.

What should I do?

2. sarabeth53

sarabeth53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    It's probably Body Lice or Fluff Lice. Where did you find it on the bird? Look for funky feathers that are lice ridden.

3. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I found one near the butt hole of one chook and the other was just on a random spot around the back area, under the feathers.

So, are you saying that there will be a certain spot where they are "nesting" on the chook?

Oh and should I be worried about my hair? >.<

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need to get some poultry dust and dust all your chickens,that will kill the lice. You also need to dust their house and everything in it. Redust everything including your chickens in 10 days to kill any eggs that have hatched since the 1st dusting.

5. Poliwag

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:Ok. What is this "dust" actually called? And I assume I can get it from the vets?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust or carberyl(sp). Both can be purchased at hardware or home improvement stores, feed supply stores...walmart has sevin dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by