My Clover Kid needs a rabbit to show.

TexasChickenLady

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Pampa, Texas
Hi all my son has started clover kids and at his age all he can show is a rabbit or 2 and we are not rabbit people. So I was wondering what is the best/favorite but easy keeping rabbit oh yea I don't want to spend a fourtune. Thanks!

I actually really like Holland lops for kids to show. They are fairly common, can be relatively inexpensive (I've seen good ones sell from $15-$40) and are pretty easy for kids to handle.

I also LOVE Jersey Woolies. I've seen them for varying prices as well, but they are one of the most docile breeds I have ever had. Even though they have long hair, you don't need to brush it often, if at all, and they are very tiny. I tend to call them miniature teddy bears! My guy is a little sweetie!

Rabbits tend to do better when kept by themselves, so if you only want one rabbit then thats fine.
A common breed will be cheaper, but a breed that cost a bit more might be easier to show since they wont be as many of them as with some other breeds.
Good breeds to show are mini rexes,Holland lops and mini lops.

Most rabbit breeds are easy to keep, its only when you get into breeds with long hair do you find it harder to keep and care for.

Does your local county fair show breeding stock, exotics or meat pens? My kids showed rabbits for a few years, but they were meat pen (that's the only type of rabbit shown at our county fair). Californians and New Zealands were the usual choice due to size. We had Californians. Your 4-H adult leader over the rabbit club should be able to put you in touch with or give you names and numbers of rabbit breeders/owners in your area. Check with your county extension agent if the adult leader can't help. Good Luck.

Holland lops and mini rex are both great for young kids starting out.
smile.png
Can he really only do rabbits, or could he show a cavy (guinea pig)? If I were you, I'd look on the American Rabbit Breeders Association or the specific breed clubs to find breeders in your area. They often have discounts for show kids.

Jersey Woolies are a great breed for children. They are small and very friendly. Once they get their senior hair they have very little grooming requirements. A great starter breed.

15342_082.jpg

I vote Holland Lop. We had 1 when i was younger and he was really sweet. We paid $20 for him and he was great. I'd only get 1 rabbit since your son is just starting. If he decides on something else when he's older 1 rabbit isn't very much care.

Back
Top Bottom