My cockerel attacked our son!

Quote:
LOL!

Of my 8 pullets that are 6 weeks old, I think one is a cockerel. Replacement coming up!

Seriously though, the way he made a wide berth for me yesterday did show me that I made my point when I locked him up for those 2 hours. I think there is hope for him!

Quote:
A step in the right direction, but if you wait hours after the attack he may not associate the action/reaction, may be better to do it at the time of the attack.

Quote:
Awesome info, thanks! It is 11 pm, so I'll wait until morning before I go out and claim my place as the alpha roo!

BTW, how in the heck to I CATCH him in order to pick him up? He's never let me hold him before.

I agree with the others about not letting him near children unsupervised and even then you have to be very careful. They are just at the right height for more damage to be done to them than an adult or older teen. My daughter is 16 and accidentally got in between my Buff Orp roo and his girls one afternoon while fixing something for me in their coop, he flew at her, feet first to her head and he left a huge scratch from her chin down her throat that trickled blood. She's very blessed that he didn't get her eyes!! I swooped him up and held him upside down just as quick as he had hit her and he got the point! Now I hold him if she has to get down on that level to fix anything in the coop and she knows to watch more carefully what she does around him and not give him any advantage to strike again. He's never offered to strike since but my point is...he could've done some horrible permanent damage to her and she's 5'7....imagine that with a 3 yr old or any youngster that got caught in the crossfire!
We've got horses that you can literally crawl around under but I know from experience that animals are instinctive and you just have to watch them all the time, no matter how tame or how well you know them. Even though I trust them totally, I'm always aware of what they CAN do if they want to.
Good luck with your roo!

My Dad got a huge gash in his leg from an attacking RIR rooster. They got rid of him pretty quick after that. My younger sister just moved out of the house and Mom is worried that no one will gather the eggs- all the younger ones are terrified! I don't know why- I've never had a problem with them, and Dad only got hurt because he was trying to keep an eye on four of them at once (we're down to one leghorn roo now). I don't want an aggressive rooster because I'd be worried about kids, but I have to admit there is just something really neat about having this wild rooster and thinking, 'this is what a rooster is supposed to be.' Dad feels the same way, which is why we still have one.

Back
Top Bottom