My cockerel has frostbite on his comb/wattles and is open mouth breathing!

KayisforKale

Free Ranging
Sep 3, 2022
Like the title says, my cockerel, which is a Sapphire Gem that is about 10 months old, has developed frostbite on his comb and wattles during the past few days. It was not too bad yesterday, but it is much worse this morning. They feel a bit warm to the touch, and he allowed me to apply Vaseline to the affected areas. Yesterday and today, he has also begun mouth breathing. I figure that he must be in pain from the frostbite, which is most likely why he allowed me to handle him so readily; but I cannot explain the open beak breathing. His eyes are clear, his poop is normal, and he is still very much alert. He does seem to be lounging quite a bit more, and does not have much interest in food or water right now. Please help! 🙏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_073841.jpg
    IMG_20230205_073841.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 16
Vaseline can freeze as well, making things worse, so I would not use that. If he is in the coop I would not use anything on it. It is very painful, and will be for a few days. In addition to dry feed and water, and I would make a pan of feed plus warm water twice a day, which will get more water into him. Usually frostbite heals without treatment with some rounding off of the wattle or comb in a few weeks. If he is inside above freezing, you could use some Microcyn AH or Vetericyn on the area.

Vaseline can freeze as well, making things worse, so I would not use that. If he is in the coop I would not use anything on it. It is very painful, and will be for a few days. In addition to dry feed and water, and I would make a pan of feed plus warm water twice a day, which will get more water into him. Usually frostbite heals without treatment with some rounding off of the wattle or comb in a few weeks. If he is inside above freezing, you could use some Microcyn AH or Vetericyn on the area.
He is out in his run right now. The temperature is quickly warming up and will be well above freezing today; that is the only reason why I applied it to him. I tried hot mash last night and he had zero interest in it. He did eat some food out of my hand this morning, but he does not have much of an appetite.

Is it normal for a frostbitten chicken to be a bit lethargic? He keeps walking about and suddenly stopping and either standing or sitting for a while. He also keeps shaking his head. Not like he has an ear problem, but like he is swinging his wattles.

I was also told that I should use this spray: Campho-Phenique. I had ordered it yesterday for same day delivery, but they never shipped it. I will be buying some this morning from work and will apply it when I get home.

Yes it is normal when there is some significant frostbite, since it causes pain. The head shaking is also due to the pain. Offer fluids and wet mash with a lot of water to tempt him. He should feel better next week hopefully.

Yes it is normal when there is some significant frostbite, since it causes pain. The head shaking is also due to the pain. Offer fluids and wet mash with a lot of water to tempt him. He should feel better next week hopefully.
Thank you so much for all of your help! 🙏🏻❤️ He is with my mom now while I am at work. She is getting ready to bring him some soupy mash, at my request. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom