My cockerel has taken a dislike to my one year old!

Archer123

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Usually I keep my flock in a run in the back garden. For the first time today we let them free range in the garden but the cockerel (7 months) seems to have got it in for my daughter who's 17 months! Twice today he has run at her and pecked and pulled at her clothes. She wasn't being overly noisey or doing anything to make him defend the hens, in fact the second time she was no where near but he went for her from the other side of the garden.
Anyone know what the issue could be or how to handle this? My main priority is of course the safety of my child but I'll dispatch my cockerel only as a last resort. Suggestions?

Yes unfortunately he is a human aggressive rooster who can only be rehabilitated with some training to make him submit. The training must be done by everyone who interacts wit him so even if you change your behaviour with him, it won't help how he is with your daughter. Obviously she is too young to be able to do what must be done to show hI'm he is not dominant.
Your only options are removing the rooster or keeping him away from her until she is older, which isn' really practical.

Usually I keep my flock in a run in the back garden. For the first time today we let them free range in the garden but the cockerel (7 months) seems to have got it in for my daughter who's 17 months! Twice today he has run at her and pecked and pulled at her clothes. She wasn't being overly noisey or doing anything to make him defend the hens, in fact the second time she was no where near but he went for her from the other side of the garden.
Anyone know what the issue could be or how to handle this? My main priority is of course the safety of my child but I'll dispatch my cockerel only as a last resort. Suggestions?
:thumbsup :welcome

As someone with small toddlers running around, get rid of him ASAP. There are plenty of nice roosters around, no need to bother with the jerks. I’ve rehomed two roosters to homes without small kids after they went after my two year old. We have four roosters now who are all very respectful and give the kids a wide berth, just like they should. :)

Agreed with all of the above posters. I have the utmost respect for Beekissed, and copy her excellent "rooster speak" post many times to provide good advice for folks regarding training a rooster. But, with a toddler, it's simply not worth the risk. Even without spurs, that cockerel can do some serious damage. Toddlers don't have good balance. It would take very little for him to knock her down. Then, the first thing he would do would be to go for her face and her eyes. He would go into full on attack to kill mode. In your situation, I would not even advise keeping him in a full time coop/run situation. What if he accidentally got out????

Back
Top Bottom