My cockerel keeps mating with my duck! Is it dangerous

vickgater15

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 23, 2013
Hi I have a buff Orpington cockerall a flock of 5 hens, 2 call ducks and 3 ayelsburys. My young cockerel runs straight over to the ayelsburys when their let out in the mornings to mate! Is it dangerous for a cock to mate with a duck?
Thanks for your help?

Generally no, it's only dangerous if your male duck wants to mate chickens. Some waterfowl have penises, including ducks, however chickens do not.

It's not overly likely your ducks appreciate this and chances are there will be stresses and injuries sooner or later. Does your cockerel have no pullets or hens to mate with? Do your ducks have no drakes either?

Best wishes.

Yes sorry it's all written I've got 5 hens a drake and 4 female ducks , they have an interal penis ? It's only worrying as a friend said her ducks bits were hanging out after the cockerall mated, whether this was exaggerated or not I don't know?

Yes sorry it's all written I've got 5 hens a drake and 4 female ducks , they have an interal penis ? It's only worrying as a friend said her ducks bits were hanging out after the cockerall mated, whether this was exaggerated or not I don't know?

Ah, I see, had to double check. Bit unusual to hear of someone with only a male chicken is all. :)

Ducks and geese do have penises they keep internal until actually mating, yes, but with chickens it's a 'cloacal kiss' --- no penetration, as they have no penis.

So if your friend's duck's 'bits' were hanging out after the cockerel mated, perhaps he mated a male duck and his penis prolapsed during mating, it's not uncommon for drakes and ganders (really any animal with an internal penis) to suffer prolapse and be unable to retrieve their penises. Can lead to amputation, rot, even death. The lucky ones get good enough help early enough to replace their penises and let them heal back into normal position, but there's a bit of an element of chance to it, you don't know which ones will stay and which won't.

There's nothing the cockerel could have done to internally interfere with the ducks unless he spurred or pecked into their vent areas. A sexually excited drake though could have reverse-mated the cockerel, lol, he could have been the one who ended up penetrated, but it'd be a very unusual and bizarre incident, but already the whole description of the duck's 'bits' hanging out is bizarre. Is your friend sure it's a female duck? What were these 'bits'? Could be anything from prolapsed laying tract to a prolapsed penis or bowels.

Best wishes.

I had a banty rooster that bred a duck with no problems. What I thought was strange, I had one that would fly up on a nanny goat and breed, and no I never got a kid

Mated, or bred? If no offspring resulted it's not a breeding, though I know that's a term some people use i.e. horse or cattle farmers refer to a mating as a breeding even if nothing results (lol).

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom