My colorful flock....new additions coming soon....

Thank you so much for the prompt answer! Now, for my next volley of questions!
gig.gif

Are they good layers?
Are they cold hardy?
Are they a broody breed?
And last, but not least, WHERE CAN I BUY SOME!!!! I would dearly love to have a few of those roaming around. Just based on looks alone, especially the pics you've posted in your other thread, they look like they're just packed full of personality! Is this the case? Please! Please! PLEASE tell me more about them!!! Inquiring minds just have to know!!
gig.gif

Mine are not great layers. A few eggs a week? It's hard to say. They lay these small torpedo shaped white eggs.

I think because of their large comb they are not very cold hardy. Any big combs have the concern of frostbite. This is my first winter with them, so we will see....

I don't know if they are broody or not....I would think not. They are very small they woudn't be able to cover very many eggs.

You can get them at most hatcheries but I think most are sold out until next year at this point, Mine came from Tractor Supply's pullet bin....not sure which hatchery they came from.

They are funny little chickens. Emphasis on LITTLE. They are smaller than my leghorns. I don't have any banties, but they remind me of a large bantam. Not big at all. They fly very well, forage very well, are pretty high up the pecking order, and are relatively noisy. Mine like to get separated from the flock and then squawk at the top of their lungs while they wander around looking for their friends.

So, in other words Nella, they're more there for the entertainment value than anything else? I love it!
wink.png
Because, in my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with birds that are purely entertaining!
gig.gif
Isn't that half of the reason we keep these silly creatures around in the first place? Just to watch them in their antics on a daily basis is excuse enough for me to keep chickens! Gotta love the crazy stunts they pull!

And gosh darn it! Your little buttercups are pretty!! BONUS!!!
big_smile.png

Yes, these buttercups are pretty much "ornamental" only. Their eggs are cute though, perfect for making "kid sized" portions. I give them to my friend who has an 8 year old. Perfect size for her.

But considering they are pretty and comical, being small isn't a bad thing. They don't eat much and manage to find quite a bit of it themselves. They are usually some of the last into the coop at night.....gotta find that last bug, you know.

I like them! They grew on me
love.gif

I showed your pics to DH. They brought a little smile to the corners of his mouth. Now, considering that my husband is about as demonstrative of emotions as a granite statue, that's saying quite a bit!
gig.gif
I just gotta get me some of those come spring!
love.gif

Here is an idea of their size. Here is one of my Buttercup girls with my Jersey Giant Rooster. They are the exact same age....bought as day olds in the same "batch".

buttercuproostergirls.jpg

And here is the same buttercup with my four young pullets (two RIR, two Salmon Faverolle) that are about 9-10 weeks old. They are about the same size
lau.gif

buttercupgirls1.jpg

They are funny little birds. And yes, my Jersey Giant Roo does breed them
ep.gif
I don't know if it "works" or not.....I have a Blue Andalusian roo that is closer in size who has made some attempts on them, and a big RIR roo who has tried as well. They will only squat for my big Jersey roo though. He is "the man".
idunno.gif

Whoa!! Those buttercups really are small, aren't they! And just so dang cute!!
love.gif

So, are you going to let anything hatch from the joining of the buttercups and the JG? That could be a very interesting cross!
gig.gif
Thanks for the size comparison pics!

Back
Top Bottom