My completed backyard coop

They do get free run of the backyard once someone is home. So they free roam about 5 hours a day...we have been having a problem with 3 coopers hawks so that is why i added to the run....I don't let them out when no one is home so i thought they needed more room. We lost our speckled sussex pullet a few weeks ago so i keep them in more.

I'm so worried about that! Sorry that you lost one! I plan to only let them out of the run in a tractor because I'm worried about my dogs, feral dogs, and birds of prey. I have heard barn owls and seen hawks in my area.

Yea those hawks are fast...i have dogs but they are only allowed out with the girls when i'm outside...never alone...they have never tried but they are dogs so i know better
1f60a.png

Mine are pretty small and old (two Bostons - 11 and 7 and a corgi who is 10) and so I think they probably would get pecked by a full grown bird before they got too close - although my boy dog is the youngest and fastest and feistiest - but he is also wall-eyed and his teeth stick out in every direction, so I don't think he'd be able to catch one. That said, there's a feral dog that looks to me like a chow/pitt mix in my neighborhood, who I've never seen in my back yard because I have a 6' stockade, but I think he could probably jump it with enough motivation.

Back
Top Bottom