*My completed coop and run!* plus moveable run question...

BEAUTIFUL coop and run. You should post pics of the inside.
big_smile.png
Did you follow any plans? Your set up is really very similar to what we wand to do!!!

I love the outdoor 'playpen' too! I need to get something like that going now while we build the coop!

Great idea,might just use it myself to get my girls around the yard until I can fence it in. What are the dimensions on your play pen?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I will take a pic of inside later - not much to see though - have not built the nest boxes yet but have a poop board roost in there for when they are big enough - they are only between 3-5 weeks old. I have a baby roost under the big girl one.

I started with the "Building chicken coops for dummies" walk-in plan but modified it along the way - for example it is taller to accomodate the proper people door which I thought was important in a cold winter climate. It is insulated and I put ridge vent system in roof. The louvered vents were a great find at Fleet Farm for $10 each - really purpose made for coops and fit nicely between studs.There is a pretty bad error in the framing plans in dummies so be careful - otherwise it's an awesome book and I really recommend it.

wayne, pen is 10' long, 6' wide and 28" tall. I used 10' 2x4's on the sides and cut 45 deg off the bottom for easy sliding. I made sure that the 3 horizontal base 2x4's are attached to the 10'ers 3" off the ground to keep the sliding easy. I also used treated 2x2's for the top section to attch wire to. The trap door was just made from scrap plywood from the brooder I dismantled. I wrap the rope around my waist and it's pretty easy to pull around. The gals have already worked out when that is about to happen and they run to the front for the move!

FIRST EGG!
woot.gif

The oldest hens are 4 months old now and I went out just now to check the gals (it's close to 100 degrees) and discovered a perfect brown egg! I only put nest boxes in the coop yesterday as I thought eggs were weeks away!. I had time this weekend to covert the old kids dresser into nest boxes and food storage for the winter. Talk about timing! I think it was one of my reds as I noticed her get in the nest box yesterday when everyone else was freaking out about the sudden decor change in the coop.

I'm going to get some clear plastic (reuseable) egg cartons online so the kids can sell some eggs. I'm planning on not washing the eggs and leaving them on our counter...is this OK? If I'm giving/selling people our eggs should I wash them and tell them to refridgerate them? Thanks for any ideas!!

I'm going to get some clear plastic (reuseable) egg cartons online so the kids can sell some eggs. I'm planning on not washing the eggs and leaving them on our counter...is this OK? If I'm giving/selling people our eggs should I wash them and tell them to refridgerate them? Thanks for any ideas!!
I wash the eggs that I sell and stick them in the fridge. It would be fine to leave yours on the counter for a few days, but I wouldn't do it if you are not going to be selling the eggs right away. If they are not fresh when you sell them it takes the meaning out of homegrown fresh eggs.

Last edited:
FIRST EGG!
woot.gif

You can buy the egg cartons at Tractor Supply for .49 cents. I don't wash mine but I stick them in the carton and then in the frig. I don't sell ours we give them away to friends and family we tell them to wash them before using but we also write it on the carton in black marker. maybe you can get some stickers and have the kids design them to put on the cartons to remind the people to wash them before use.

and WooHoo on the 1st egg

Back
Top Bottom