My coop and run

yes the run is drilled together,
You mean screws and washers?
Not seeing any.
How big are the holes of the mesh?
They look like 1"?

There’s quite a large amount of ventilation at the back of the coop
Pics of that?
Did you add more ventilation to the prefab design?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @georgias3chickens
Is your name Georgia or is that where you live?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1691883908373.png

You mean screws and washers?
Not seeing any.
How big are the holes of the mesh?
They look like 1"?

Pics of that?
Did you add more ventilation to the prefab design?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @georgias3chickens
Is your name Georgia or is that where you live?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3607515
Thank you for your welcome! I am so excited to learn more about chickens and give them the best care I possibly can! Here is a picture of the ventilation, you can also see that there are a few gaps at the bottom and sides of the coop where they don’t connect all the way. There are 7 screws on each post. The run onto the grass is only zip tied as they are only in this during the day and it is locked up at night so even if predators do get into it, they won’t be able to get into the main run where the coop is

Attachments

• A5BFDA9E-7D68-4C66-99FE-8AC840ED6748.jpeg
    A5BFDA9E-7D68-4C66-99FE-8AC840ED6748.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 7C0A362A-184D-4E00-AA4A-0C9696108F03.jpeg
    7C0A362A-184D-4E00-AA4A-0C9696108F03.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 9
  • 4753C0BD-2C24-4516-8008-EE8AB666A2D2.jpeg
    4753C0BD-2C24-4516-8008-EE8AB666A2D2.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 6
  • ECD967EE-962E-44C2-A030-9868F440858E.jpeg
    ECD967EE-962E-44C2-A030-9868F440858E.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 8
Here is a picture of the ventilation
That's what I thought I'd see, typical for that type of coop, and not nearly enough.
Tho knowing your geographical location would certainly help folks here help you.

There are 7 screws on each post.
Those screws are not doing anything to hold the mesh to the frame.
Looks like who ever built this setup used pneumatic staples to install mesh.

Thank you for your welcome! I am so excited to learn more about chickens and give them the best care I possibly can! Here is a picture of the ventilation, you can also see that there are a few gaps at the bottom and sides of the coop where they don’t connect all the way.
Originally you said you had "large" amounts of ventilation. Wish I'd seen this photo at that time. What's your climate like? In moderate climates you want to aim for 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird open 24/7, in hot climates 2-3x that. That sliding window is maybe 1/2 sq ft, maybe less? A few gaps only add inches more, not feet (plus could be an intrusion point for rodents).

I stand by my recommendation that you open up the gables on both sides of the coop and then cover them in wire mesh.
There are 7 screws on each post.
The screws there have nothing to do with the wire mesh, which is attached by staples. To attach wire mesh with screws you either need to sandwich trim wood on top and screw through that, or use fender washers larger than the mesh to hold the mesh down. You can see some here on corners/sides of the window:
coop4.jpg

I give you an A+, the coop and run look great, I am sure as time goes by there are things you will change and update, we all do, but that's really a nice setup.

Back
Top Bottom