my coop and run

sallyann44

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
Hello all ! I have a coop and run, nice size run I thought the grass would have stayed but 2 days the grass was dirt lol should I put something down for the? we put 2 perches out in run too which r loving them now took a while tho. Inside the coop which is way above the ground we only have wood chips/flaked in where they lay their eggs and a nice big perch for them at night. What do u think should I put something down in the coop too? Getting cooler now do I need a light for warmth or would they be ok? I was planning on putting their lamp they used when the we're little chicks, but reading some people don't do anything. Can u tell I'm new lol

Hello all ! I have a coop and run, nice size run I thought the grass would have stayed but 2 days the grass was dirt lol should I put something down for the?

If you want to for pure entertainment purpose, sure. LOL! I think most people give them stuff like a bale of straw to dig through and distribute. Groundcover plants just won't survive their scratching.

Inside the coop which is way above the ground we only have wood chips/flaked in where they lay their eggs and a nice big perch for them at night. What do u think should I put something down in the coop too?

Yes. You're going to want something in the coop (wood chips, sand, rice hulls, etc.). It will help insulate the coop, provide a softer landing for them getting off the perches, and make it easier to keep the coop clean.

Getting cooler now do I need a light for warmth or would they be ok? I was planning on putting their lamp they used when the we're little chicks, but reading some people don't do anything. Can u tell I'm new lol

They should be ok unless you're somewhere like Alaska. If you don't have to worry about their water freezing, you really don't have to worry about them freezing either. Adding artificial heat can be dangerous (I wouldn't put a heat lamp in a coop, that's for sure!) and adding artificial light is controversial. Some people are big proponents of it to keep them laying, others are strongly opposed and prefer to keep their chickens more naturally (giving them a break and a chance to replenish).

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wood shavings, grass hay or even sand works well in the coop. You need something down to absorb the poop. However in the run, sand works really well if yours is a covered run. I love sand! It stays dry when wet, it absorbs the poop smells, the flies buzz off, soft on the foot pads, it is easy to maintain and you can hose it down in the summer to keep the birds really cool. Here is a link to using sand should you need more info....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Stop by our learning center too for lots of tips and hints on raising your flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck on this great journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on HightStreetCoop's and TwoCrow's advice. Your coop should have some bedding in it- it's more comfortable for the birds and makes it easier to clean.

Heat lamps are almost never necessary. They can be a fire hazard and actually increase problems due to the cold. Chickens can easily survive temperatures below zero, as long as they have a place to get out of the wind.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've received good advice above.

As long as your coop is draft free, has ventilation and warm bedding you really do not need a heat lamp.

Thank u every one! It is like having babies again i love it so much! They r fun to watch lol taking baths they make me laugh so hard :) just want to make sure I am doing the right things.

Highstreet coop gave you some good advice. Could you tell us what your climate is like? What prevailing predators you have, etc. so we can offer more detained information?

Glad you joined the flock.

ps If you hang a cabbage head off the ground chickens usually like to jump and peck at it. Keeps them active. There are also "flock balls" they sell in feed stores. Some people get the Kong toys for parrots and fill the openings with something chickens like to eat. Bright colored balls will attract them to push them around. Also outdoor roosts of tree branches at different heights. I've also read of people making a swing for them inside the coop - some birds like the back and forth motion and create it for themselves.

Before I forget - Welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock.

Thank u :)sounds like fun never thought of toys the cabbage idea sounds like fun too ! We live in nj it could get below zero but mostly 20s 30s in winter and summer as high as 100 at times but mostly 80s 90s predators fox, raccoons,coyotes, bobcats, we have bears but not sure if they r a threat my coop is covered so I hope it keeps them safe I do let them out to play even tho my run is a great size I have to watch for eagles and owls and hawks lol

Back
Top Bottom