My coop and set up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KNAndrs, Sep 20, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    Being in the Northern reaches of God's Country right up next to Lake Superior I have had to work extra hard to convert a play house into a winterized chicken coop. The play house was won a few years back at Vacation Bible School by my daughter. Last year we found some young boys from the neighborhood smoking illegal substances in it and thought it was time to increase security or re-purpose it. When we bought meat birds last spring and found out that we really liked raising chickens, the smoker's play house became a chicken coop. Now 8 lovely ladies are hanging out in style in a 4.5x7.5' play coop and 12x8' run. My ladies are 2 Bantam Cochins (black and pigeon), 1 RIR, 1 Araucana, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1 Lakenvelder, 1 Brown Leghorn, and 1 Barred Rock. I am thinking of adding a blue copper maran or welsummer to the mix as well.

When I can figure out how to post an image I will. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Pastor Ken

2. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    [​IMG]

I figured it out!!!

The white bird in the left corner was my splash maran rooster that went up to a farm to live. Too loud for the neighbors!!!

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Looks like a perfect size! Cute set up. I'm sure the ladies will love it!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would much rather see pretty hens in that than naughty boys...lol. Cute set-up [​IMG]

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Nice job! Any photos of the inside?

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Pastor Ken, Nice job converting it and setting up the run. Only one concern.....ya might wanna consider replacing the chicken wire with something more substantial. Maybe even a few more vertical supports for alittle more strenght as well. Chicken wire only designed to keep chickens in, not bad guys out. Just a thought.....hate to see ya loose your girls to wild or domestic animal when it could be avoided. Good luck
    Erik

7. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Quote:Agree with Erik. Would hate to hear that baddies got in and hurt your chickens. It looks really cute. Hope your daughter is alright with her play house being converted. [​IMG]

8. KNAndrs

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    So maybe some more sturdy wire on the cage? Right now everything is stapled in place and wired together every 3 inches. I may make a back door screen next summer to cut down on the heat and increase ventilation.

Any other suggestions?

PK

9. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    Quote:x2 You should enlist your daughter and her friends to paint it. What a fun project. Very cute setup. I hope your chickens stay on the straight 'n narrow. Don't want to come out in the a.m. and find them partying with those neighbor boys....

10. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Very nice coop. I grew up in Virginia, MN and went to First Covenant Church there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by