My coop design/bird capacity

I think i was going to have the back of the roof 6 inches up so the ventilation would be 6 inches sloping over 4 feet. I changed it so it would be 4 ft deep, making the coop layout like this:

I have to admit i like it a lot better!! So with it like this, it makes up for the nesting boxes being inside!!

And i changed the plans to make both the chicken and cleaning door a few inches up off the floor (good point!!)

Time Out, would you happen to have a picture of the perch instead of the ramp? I love the idea!!

It looks like your coop design is growing!
wink.png

If you have room, a poop board below your roost would be nice to have. You could use the space under the board to hand a waterer and a feeder (a great space saver!).

Awesome! With it being 8/4 you can defiantly have 4 birds =) And it looks a lot roomier. I also want to say, that it's a really good idea to have a whole wall open up. It makes it sooooo much easier to clean. also, have you thought about a poop board under the roosts? Now that I have one, I have to clean the coop half the amount of time I used to.

poop board? whats that?

Also, what do you think about lining the coop with something like tough plastic(not a film), vinyl flooring or something like that?

Last edited:
poop board? whats that?

Also, what do you think about lining the coop with something like tough plastic(not a film), vinyl flooring or something like that?

A poop board is a peice of wood with short sides under the roost to catch poop that falls, most people usually put sand in it so they can scoop it. vinyl is an awesome idea, and works really well, but if you have some sealer, that would work just as well poop board=

This mini-coop is a couple of feet off the ground. I painted the front and underside of the entry perch in white so that it stands out against the dark green. I have one hen with poor eyesight and she kept missing before I did that.

In the warmer months, the coop stands on the lawn, without the run. Having no ramp means one less thing to meander around with the lawnmower!

PS. Pay no attention to the creepy chicken under the coop. She was moulting at the time. I think that's her death-glare for daring to take a photo of her in that state.

I have read it is not good to have the roost area below the level of the nest boxes, as they tend to want to roost at the highest point.

Back
Top Bottom