My Coop design

Really cool picture! When are you going to start building

Oops, replied before reading all the posts! Very nice. Karen

Last edited:
That looks extremely mod. :-D

One question..it doesn't get very hot or cold? I would think metal would conduct both too easily. Or is this just for mild days for them to be outside?

Quote:
This is my chickens first night in the coop. I hope they don't get too cold. The roosts are 2x4s which don't conduct heat very well. The sides are perforated aluminum with about 50% open area (staggered 3/16 holes). The floor is plastic grating, soon to be wood dowels when I get around to it.

I might make a clear plastic sheet covering for the winter months. For the summer months, I might have to hook up a mister system or fan. Anybody out there raising chickens in Arizona?

First night in the coop:

293868931.jpg

The one looks a bit suspicious. LOL Was it already dark,and you used a flash? Anyway, they look like they already have the roosts, etc, figured out. Good Luck.

Scimo....

I'm in Cottonwood. Our hottest summer temps hit an average of 115* and up. I can tell you that I really like the design you've come up with, but it's going to be like a sauna in there (where the plastic is) during the summer months, even if you park it in the shade.

One thing you might consider doing for summer time is to put a sheet of plywood or something covering the entire unit, and maybe put something up on the exterior wall for additional shade. Perhaps even that screening that I see on a lot of windows in Arizona rooms, that allows people to see out, but not in. They would get plenty of ventilation as well as shade that way.

A mister would also be an excellent idea. I don't have water at my coop, but I drop a hose to it, and during the heat of the year, I go down several times each day and mist the run as well as the hen house. This combined with the mature shade trees, makes a big difference for the girls.

You've got a terrific concept here, just needs a bit of summertime tweaking.

Thanks for all the input.

I have another dilemma. The chickens are digging up the grass around the edges of the run. I am moving the coop once a day. Do I need to put down wire mesh on the bottom? If so, what size. The 2x3 wire mesh on the sides of the run might be too big an opening to prevent the digging. By the way I observed one chicken digging. She was using her beak not her feet.

Thanks,
Scimo (Matt)

Do I need to put down wire mesh on the bottom?

Not in my opinion! that would defeat the purpose of the tractor. They eat the grass. Not sure why they are just digging around the edges though.
They will dig a hole to dust bathe in.

Randy

edited to correct stupid typos​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom