1. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

Well, I haven't had chickens since I was a kid. But this year, now that I am the father to three young children, I thought I would begin raising chickens again.

I started with a plan and framed a 6x8 coop in my garage over the winter waiting for the weather to break so that I could assemble it outside. Between the time I finished framing the coop and the time that the weather broke I decide that a 6 x 8 coop just would not be big enough, so I got the graph paper out and designed a 12 x 12 coop. Following are just a few pictures.

Here is the coop after framing was complete. Again, it is a 12'x12' coop. I went with a dirt floor so I can do the DLM.

[​IMG]

Here is after I trimmed the over hang and had my B-I-L put the tin roof on for me.
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic I took after this weekend, with the painted siding, windows(the entire coop has 4 windows that I paid $40 for all of them), and trim on.

[​IMG]

I just need to finish the nesting boxes (there will be 9 five gallong buckets), and build some roosts. Also, I need to build the run. I am doing a two part run where you rotate between the chickens on one side one year and then move the chickens to the other side and garden on the previous side. I will also have a hinged fenced roof on top of the run. Each run will be 12'x32'. Hopefully the weathers stays nice this weekend and I can get the post set for the run!

2. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Amazing work - congratulations! [​IMG]

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Very nice coop [​IMG]

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

5. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I wished I lived there.
    [​IMG]

6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    That's lovely! You've done a wonderful job.

7. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    real nice building. looks like a pro built unit. you might want to install gutters to keep the runs a little dryer.

8. Boyson

Boyson New Egg

Mar 25, 2009
    Central California
    Very nice...just can't beat a tin roof [​IMG]

9. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    nice coop.[​IMG]

10. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    What a great-looking building! And flat, open, almost-treeless land makes me drool:).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by