My Coop

k91

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Grantville, PA
Go easy on me I'm not good at wood crafts and my expert carpenter passed away earlier this year so I'm on my own. I didn't really make a plan just had a basic idea in my head and went from there. Used almost all free scrap wood and reclaimed screws
wink.png
So here it is. And my 2 questions. Does it look big enough for 2 regular sized hens? Do you think they will be able to make it up the ramp into the coop part or is it too steep or short or what? Please share your thoughts and I didn't get to put the fence on the bottom part yet.

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

It looks really nice. For only two chickens, I think it would be plenty of room. You need a roost for them. As long as that opening in the floor is bigger than 10 inches or so, it should be large enough for the chickens to get out. As for the ramp, it looks a bit steep so you may need to wait until the birds move in and see if works for them. If not, you can make it less steep. Good job!

Last edited:
Nice job for a beginner carpenter. I have to agree with Scott....the ramp looks very steep and you will need a roost. In my experience, if you don't provide a roost, they will use the nesting boxes and they can get a bit messy with poop!

That's a very nice-looking coop and should be plenty big enough for two girls to hang out in. As stated, the ramp is probably too steep, but I am interested to hear how your experience with a "bottom-loading" coop turns out. We also built our coop that way, with the intention of utilizing a skirt around the base of the coop, to help prevent drafts and keep things warmer during winter.

Our 5 girls and two BR roos (soon to be cordially invited to dinner) have not shown any difficulty with accessing the coop from the bottom and we're able to secure the door from the inside, making it about as predator-proof as can be. I also liked the idea of having the door on the bottom because it gave my wife an unbroken "canvas" to work with. I think she did a great job!
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=30118

Thanks everybody for the compliments. I was thinking about putting a roost near the back I'll see if I can dig up a piece of wood that works.

BroomFarm - Thats some real nice work on your coop.

Back
Top Bottom