1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I never did get to show you guys what I ended up deciding on doing for the big coop for my chicks. I decided to convert one of the stalls in the barn into the coop. I think it has worked out well and I can do more to winterize it when that time comes. The stall is approx 25 x 25 x 15 high and they have tons of room so each has their own space. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice but, lonely. Think you need a few dozen more chickens to liven it up.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] Agree! But what a nice job!! I bet they just love it!! thanks for sharing.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Well, I am actually up to 28 chickens now. [​IMG] I just got 2 new orp's today. I had just gotten done cleaning it up so most left the coop. I let them free range during the day.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Good job! Do you need lips on your nest boxes? Do the shavings fall out?

6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    None of mine are old enough to lay yet so I don't know if they will fall out or not as of yet. [​IMG] But I have been thinking about that also and what to use on the crates for a lip if it will be needed. I am not even sure if the girls will use them so I did put a few other nesting boxes out in addition to them. I just put in a wooden nest box, dish pan and also a crate standing upright filled with bedding. I am hoping when the time does come for them to lay, I will know which type they will prefer to use. The Orp's I just got are the oldest at 3-4 months old, I am not sure if any of my silkies are hens yet (They don't act like it) but they are about 4 months and then I have 22 nine week olds. I have a feeling once they start to lay, I will have eggs coming out my ears! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by