my coop

kimismurf

In the Brooder
May 2, 2015
Randleman, NC
Okay... I am in the process of building my first chicken coop. It is not done but I wanted to get some opinions from people who are more experienced than myself. There are some things I know I still need to do such as build a roost. I also will be sealing the floor and adding a roost outside as well. The panel behind the nest boxes does open from the back so I can pull out eggs without going I n the coop. Anyhow, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions. It won't let me add a link so I hope it let's you click below.

Watch "DIY old shed to chicken coop" on YouTube
DIY old shed to chicken coop:

Okay... I am in the process of building my first chicken coop. It is not done but I wanted to get some opinions from people who are more experienced than myself. There are some things I know I still need to do such as build a roost. I also will be sealing the floor and adding a roost outside as well. The panel behind the nest boxes does open from the back so I can pull out eggs without going I n the coop. Anyhow, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions. It won't let me add a link so I hope it let's you click below.

Watch "DIY old shed to chicken coop" on YouTube
DIY old shed to chicken coop:
Wow what a great space to start with, I would lower the nest boxes because the roost has to be higher or they will sleep in them and you will have poop covered eggs,block off the top boxes, the lower the easier it will be for them to get in, a few fine touches and you will have a very nice coop.

I watched the video. Nice work so far. The stupid ad on BYC kept playing louder than your video so I missed if you said how many hens you will have.

I used porch and floor paint on the floor of my coop and it has worked well for nearly a year now. Make sure when you put the roosts that you put them higher than the entrances to the nest boxes so they do not sleep in the nests.
2x4 with the 4 inch side up works well. If you are not planning on a lot of hens you may find that they only use a couple of the nest boxes. (Mine have 6 boxes for 19 hens and only use 3 or 4.)
I also use pine shavings on the floor of my coop as it aids in moisture control and ease of cleaning.

(Beware of the chicken wire. Lots of things can go right through it to get to your girls.) I have it on top of my run but with my biggest predator being my own dogs I used chain link we had laying about to make the sides of my run.

Best wishes,

Babs

Thanks for the roost tip. I definitely do not want poop eggs. I have purchased rubber roof sealant for the floor and plan to apply it this weekend. Everything will get done tomorrow. Hopefully they will be in the coop by Sunday.

I currently have 2 hens and a rooster, but... I have 12 rainbow eggs in the incubator that go on lockdown Saturday. One of them I know is not growing, possibly two. So I may end up with ten chicks IF they all hatch. This is my first time incubating.

That looks a lot like my coop in a shed.

You'll need to let the roofing stuff dry and cure for a good few days, I wouldn't rush that.

I'd move some of those boards to the outside and make the nests lower, so you can put the roost higher than the nests as previously mentioned.
You'll need some ~4" fronts on the nests to keep bedding and eggs form getting kicked out.
You could cut off the top rows of the cubbies and make roost/poop board on top of nests to save space.

I had problems with higher roosts in a small coop because when they flew off roosts they crashed in to walls, had to put ramps up.

Your coop looks very nice. I did not lower the coop but I did put the roost at a higher level. I live in North Carolina and it is about 50 in the mornings and getting up to between 80 and 90 during the day. My chickens are going into the coop tomorrow morning for the first time. My question is... is it warm enough for them to be out there at night at their age (6 weeks)? They are for the most part fully feathered. I have been putting them in the yard at 7 am and bringing them in at 8am every day. So morning it seems too chilly but their behavior tells me that they are fine. By behavior I mean running around acting normal not bunched up together. Anyway, I will post an updated video of the coop in a little bit.

Your coop looks very nice. I did not lower the coop but I did put the roost at a higher level. I live in North Carolina and it is about 50 in the mornings and getting up to between 80 and 90 during the day. My chickens are going into the coop tomorrow morning for the first time. My question is... is it warm enough for them to be out there at night at their age (6 weeks)? They are for the most part fully feathered. I have been putting them in the yard at 7 am and bringing them in at 8am every day. So morning it seems too chilly but their behavior tells me that they are fine. By behavior I mean running around acting normal not bunched up together. Anyway, I will post an updated video of the coop in a little bit.
They should be fine, as long as they are dry, out of any breezes while they sleep and have some bedding to cuddle down on.

Block the nests off so they don't sleep in them, you might put down a cardboard box big enough for them all to fit without piling, sides about 4" high filled with pine shavings for them to cuddle in.

Make sure the coop is predator proof with tight wire over any opening, littles are especially susceptible to predators day and night.

It is official, I have spoiled our chickens. Tonight is their first night in their new coop and they are crying loudly to be brought in the house. I think they are used to being in a confined space at night. All the new space in the dark must be scary for them. We made sure they ate and drank before the light got turned off so hopefully they will settle down.

Here is the completed video of our coop. I still need to put up the cardboard over the nest boxes and put up the waterer. I think we have done a good job considering we have never had chickens before.

Back
Top Bottom