My "couple" has been broken apart!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aubreyt78, Dec 16, 2010.

1. aubreyt78

aubreyt78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    I had 4 banties that lived out the first group of 30 I got from 2008. One of the aracauana hens hatched 4 babies in april 2009 because I forgot to collect the eggs soon enough. The babies hatched and 3 lived. Shortly after they were born, we noticed that the hen, the 3 babies, and our japanese bantam were a family(and has remained that way for over a year now) Every night the aracuana, jap bantam, and the 3 babies slept together on the same perch. Once the babies were too big that stopped, but the hen and rooster remained together, all the time. on monday they were out and a hawk killed the jap bantam. I know she knows something wrong; is there anything I can do? well she couple with another rooster? (we got another 30 in may). I went out to check on her and she was sitting next to a sultan, but I am afraid she may falter due to a broker heart. any ideas?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They do seem to grieve sometimes. Just let her be with whoever she wants. She'll mate with other roos.

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    I'm so sorry for your loss. That hurts.

I hope you have remedied the hawk situation so you don't lose any other chickens.

Regarding the mate, agree with previous post. Let her be, give her lots of love if she will let you. She will "partner up" soon, but, yes, it's sad.

Geri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by