My Crested White Duck is sick (please help)

Well...

People say that crested ducks are prone to being sick more than other ducks, and for premature death. They site this based on them being pre-disposed to having seizures.

And people and animals that have seizures do tend to look sleepy and slow.

It may be that you are going through this, but also I can't for sure say that I've gone through this. I didn't really go for having crested ducks, after reading about this problem that they have. (The research and reading on this didn't say if it was night seizures or if they'd have them openly during the day, at least that I saw.)

But that's what people have said about them, and its starting to look like it may be pretty common.

And this is also why sometimes when people breed ducks they will leave the crested ducks out of the genetic pool. (I'm not saying you have to do that. And some people really like these 'affro' ducks.

I wonder if Colon Kapernick likes crested ducks? He kind of looks like a 'crested' human. And maybe if he has this seizure problem it may explain some of his acting out behavior.
I did not know that they had this tendency. I never ordered my two crested ducks they arrived unordered from the hatchery as day olds. I’m just now realizing that I never looked up their breed specifics rather I just raised them with my Pekins. I guess that’s a good place to start.
WOW I was just telling my wife what you posted and she reminded me she sometimes has tremors! She would come up to eat and be shivering or shaking! I can’t believe that Iv seen this happen but didn’t suspect a problem. Thank you so much for mentioning it, I guess this isn’t case closed just yet. Im not certain it’s a seizure but I’m embarrassed that I didn’t suspect a problem or been a little more curious about it. I havent seen any shakes for maybe a week but I’ll be on the alert with her now the poor little dear.

I did not know that they had this tendency. I never ordered my two crested ducks they arrived unordered from the hatchery as day olds. I’m just now realizing that I never looked up their breed specifics rather I just raised them with my Pekins. I guess that’s a good place to start.
WOW I was just telling my wife what you posted and she reminded me she sometimes has tremors! She would come up to eat and be shivering or shaking! I can’t believe that Iv seen this happen but didn’t suspect a problem. Thank you so much for mentioning it, I guess this isn’t case closed just yet. Im not certain it’s a seizure but I’m embarrassed that I didn’t suspect a problem or been a little more curious about it. I havent seen any shakes for maybe a week but I’ll be on the alert with her now the poor little dear.
Yeah sorry this happened to you. But I'm glad I could help.

Some people still like like them even with this problem. So they might give you a bit of happiness still, despite some hardships.

Yeah sorry this happened to you. But I'm glad I could help.

Some people still like like them even with this problem. So they might give you a bit of happiness still, despite some hardships.
This one was choking on crumble and nearly died in my hands the first thirty minutes out of the box. It was horrible I was forced to perform an extremely meatball surgery style procedure where I cleared her obstructed gullet with a crochet hook. I was terrified but she had foam coming out Of her nose and appeared for all the world to be gasping her last breaths. Then after ten or twenty seconds of recuperation she was fine.

Back
Top Bottom