My Crop Tube Feeding Journey With My Bird (Pics For Visuals- VERY detailed Post)

Pics
Have a 5 year old LF Wyandotte cock bird with pendulous crop for a second time. His heavy chest plumage masks the large crop and he is a vibrant bird even when he doesn't feel good...dancing for his girls. Beau has lost weight, I estimate about 1.5 pounds. This time the crop is also soured.

I had to tube flush his crop this morning. And began tube feeding today using a 12 french and a 50 cc syringe.

I use a coffee grinder to make a powder from layer pellets and conditioning feed.
I then mix home-made yogurt, ACV, Pedialyte, honey, hard boiled egg and applesauce in a small blender and add the powdered feed. One batch makes a one day supply for three feedings per day.

The last time, it took three weeks of tube feeding for the crop to reduce in size. He then ate his blended food in paste form for two weeks. Sometimes little chunks of soft fruit and drank water from a cup. Then he got pellets to eat. That was over a year ago.

Here we go again.

I just wanted to let you all know that the results of Belle's necropsy confirmed Mareks disease. The leg that I thought was hurt was the enlargement of the sciatic nerve. I'm glad to know what it was, however I'm nervous for the rest of my girls. Thanks all for your help, especially Kathy.

I just wanted to let you all know that the results of Belle's necropsy confirmed Mareks disease. The leg that I thought was hurt was the enlargement of the sciatic nerve. I'm glad to know what it was, however I'm nervous for the rest of my girls. Thanks all for your help, especially Kathy.
So sorry to hear it was Marek's. What did the vet say to do with the rest of your flock? Can you vaccinate them or is it too late?

Thanks Kathy and casportpony for the tubing lessons. I have a chicken that quit eating and drinking and the tube feeding kept her alive for about 8 days until she began to eat by herself again. I don't know what she had. I treated her with Tylan 50 in her water and baby parrot food with electrolytes and vitamins. She is acting normal again. I just hate the vets. Its not just that a chicken costs $3 but they gouge so! The first thing they say is 5 different kinds of tests to determine what they are treating. That will costs $200 or more, then whatever else they can dream up. They will never give you a broad spectrum antibiotic and say, "Let's try this for a few days and if that doesn't work let me know and we'll try a different something else." These posts are better than most vets because I called 20 vets and none of them did chickens and the ones that did didn't really know anything about chickens! THX again! : )

Thanks for this post, everyone. My favorite little girl is sick, and was eating just a little (about one scrambled egg each morning) for a few days, then yesterday would only eat kale. NOT power food for a sick girl on antibiotics. I decided to tube feed, and started last night with a 10 Fr tube and 50 mL of baby bird food (Nutri-start instant). The 10 Fr tube was too small (it took FOREVER to push the food through the tube), and the next size my vet had was 18, and that worked great! It's about the same size as the syringe that I was using to inject Baytril into her throat, so I figured it would work well.

I'm working on figuring out how much to feed at one time. Should I do 50 mL several times each day, or 100mL twice per day? Does it matter? Is that enough food? I'm not sure if it's better to switch the syringe in the middle of the "procedure" or to do multiple sittings throughout the day.

I will continue to offer her favorite treats throughout the day as well, and will stop tubing once her appetite returns to normal (I assume reducing feedings depending on how much she eats on her own is the way to go).

How do you know when the tube feeding isn't enough any more? When do you let go?

Thanks for this post, everyone.  My favorite little girl is sick, and was eating just a little (about one scrambled egg each morning) for a few days, then yesterday would only eat kale.  NOT power food for a sick girl on antibiotics.  I decided to tube feed, and started last night with a 10 Fr tube and 50 mL of baby bird food (Nutri-start instant).  The 10 Fr tube was too small (it took FOREVER to push the food through the tube), and the next size my vet had was 18, and that worked great!  It's about the same size as the syringe that I was using to inject Baytril into her throat, so I figured it would work well.

I'm working on figuring out how much to feed at one time.  Should I do 50 mL several times each day, or 100mL twice per day?  Does it matter?  Is that enough food?  I'm not sure if it's better to switch the syringe in the middle of the "procedure" or to do multiple sittings throughout the day.

I will continue to offer her favorite treats throughout the day as well, and will stop tubing once her appetite returns to normal (I assume reducing feedings depending on how much she eats on her own is the way to go).  

How do you know when the tube feeding isn't enough any more?  When do you let go?

How much and how often you should feed her depends on her size and how well her crop clears. What breed is she?

-Kathy

How much and how often you should feed her depends on her size and how well her crop clears. What breed is she?

-Kathy
She's a Partridge Rock, 21 weeks old. She weighs 2.6 lbs (WAY too light!). I just fed her at 1pm, she took a little nap on my lap (maybe 5-10 minutes) and then made a healthy, solid poop. So I think it's moving pretty quickly.

Any info you can provide is HIGHLY appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
If 50-60ml makes a nice bulge in her crop I'd probably stick with that, but if you put 50-60ml in and it still feels flat, add more. Play around with it, and if she doesn't gain weight or loses weight, increase the amount and frequency.

-Kathy

I have a young bantam duccle pullet who was looking off today. I picked her up and she is lighter than the other pullets. She is eating and drinking but is obviously not getting enough in to gain weight properly. She spends lots of time all fluffy and after reading around I think I should hydrate her by tubing. She does not have mites or any outside parasites. I just wormed for roundworm a couple weeks ago, but saw an adult roundworm in poo this morning so am planning to do it again tomorrow. I brought her inside for the night and so I will know what her poop looks like in the am. She's definitely off and not feeling herself! Advice appreciated!

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom