My dachshund just proved she can never be trusted around the girls

I have 5 dachshunds and they all get along really well with our girls. Of course Dixie, barred rock will not let any of the dogs get close to her. Sometime one of the doxie will just be standing by them doing nothing and she runs after them and pecks them for no reason. She is very aggressive and our dogs respect that. The dogs always stay clear of our girls.

I have to chime in here as i have dachshinds too. One could care less - but my lil guy - i brooded some chicks in the house and he spent alot fo time barking at them in brooder and so forth . Now the chickens outside he leaves alone and really ignores them. Now that the three that were brooded inside are outside? He only goes for them - they ar eall grown up but he remembers them and chases themn and barks at them - whizzing by other chickens.

I would love to think she could get along with them some day. For now, it's enough just trying to integrate 2 new ones into my flock! so time consuming.
smile.png

I have a pit that is huge and when I showed him one of the chicks, he just sniffed it and tilted his head while the poor chick was peeping for its life!
lol.png

He had no idea what it was but didn't do anything about it
clap.gif
Good Boy!
yippiechickie.gif

I lucked out with my GSD girl and my aussie/heeler boy. Neither bothers the chickens. Well the gsd will lick their butts give the chance and them standing still. I've been teaching them both to help me herd the chickens when needed. They chase off any other birds. You'll see the chickens chase a little thief bird out of their run and then my little boy waiting to get it farther away. I can let the birds free range with the dogs out. Dogs help discourage eagles and hawks and ignore the chickens even if they are hiding under them.

My 15 year old schipperke was not trustworthy. She wanted the chickens and was going to get them, a feather at a time if needed. She was old, slow, couldn't hear and blind in one eye and she was still determined. She was a good mouser in her youth and always had a strong prey drive.

Back
Top Bottom