My dad bought me four chicks....

Kimblee

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
I've raised chicks before, so i understand the basics. But I'd like advice on how to make them grow up tame.... I'd really like to avoid having to chase them constantly. (My last herd was like that)

Yep, Kate's right. Mine are underfoot constantly, both the adults and now the new batch of six weeks olds. If I go into the nursery coop and sit down, I instantly have at least four or five on my knees. Just like any little kid, if you bring them goodies, they will come every time. Even a piece of white bread! They love that-just watch your fingers or you'll lose a couple!

Yes, I do what speckledhen does, go in and sit down, only I give them cornmeal muffins or cornbread. I just sold the tamest bunch of banty juveniles ever. Just remember, when they are still chicks in the brooder, they still must have extra grit to digest treats properly.

Last edited:
I start as soon as i get them or they start eating on their own. When they are really small though, I keep the treats VERY limited and make sure they know what their feed is first.

Okies!

White bread and corn muffins... got it.

I had a pet chicken when i was younger, sounds like i just have to treat these ones like pets more than livestock.

Anything else they might like? I;ve got them eating chicken starter and lots of water.

Back
Top Bottom