My dang rooster is a meanie to one of my hens. He attacks her if she comes close to the flock.

They came from an over crowed flock of forty hens and a couple roosters.
I would give them some time to adjust because they were in such a big flock and now they are in a smaller one so they need to reestablish their pecking order. This can take up to a month from what I have experienced.

Is the rooster actually causing physical damage to the hen or is he just pecking her and bothering her?

My last update on my computer has changed I can't figure out how to post pics since ...I sent some pics on my new iphone but where did they go? May have to wait for my genius husband to help post pics tonight. I let Smarty out of the coop by herself with a bardrock pullet to free range today hehehehe .....anyone need a rooster?

I’d say early days. How old are they? How old is the male? Did he grow up with these hens? Do you have more than 1 feed and water stations?

Who is highest in the pecking order? Sometimes it isn’t the male right away, especially if he is young and there are older females or a particularly dominant female. Could the harassed female have been high in the pecking order so that she and the male were fighting for dominance? We gave a cockerel to the neighbor who had pullets a few weeks older than the male. It took the male many, many weeks to move slowly up the pecking order. Even after 2 months, he and the top pullet were fighting it out.

do the other females treat this female well, with only the male giving her problems?

What are your goals for having a rooster?

You can reform roosters, it takes almost no effort but it takes time.

Put him into his own cage.

He'll try to call and impress the girls with titbitting which will not work because he is in his cage and the hens will ignore him in no time. this takes only a few days, but reforming him takes weeks or months. You can handfeed him all of his food and pat him when you do eventually and this brings about complete change.

Once he gets out in a few months when you want to incubate eggs, he's at the bottom of the pecking order almost, or at least the hens are not exactly interested in whatever he has to say and it takes time for him to re-establish his reputation. Oh, and when you do eventually let him out, he'll go for it with the nearest hen and that's to be somewhat expected. But he gets over it.

upload_2019-11-13_20-6-28.png

Here is the rooster interesting Godofpecking

Back
Top Bottom