My dang rooster is a meanie to one of my hens. He attacks her if she comes close to the flock.

Give the poor young child a chance. He's new and has raging hormones , but give him till next summer and he'll become a good little man. He doesn't have a Big Boy to look up to and learn from, so he's just doing the best he can to learn as he goes.
Rather than kill him, try putting him in a crate and maybe the Head Hen too for a week or two. That will give your "picked on girl" a chance to work herself up the pecking order without interference. By then he will have forgotten why her didn't like her. Heck, he might even find out he likes her after all.

I will let them free range together this weekend while we are out and about building a second small coop for her retrieve and see how it goes. Would be great if they could work things out. Some how I doubt it will happen from what I have seen but will have the housing ready for her. Get her out of the dog crate and back on a roost. Funny the other chickens like her cage and take turns laying their eggs in it during the day while the door is wide open.

Rooster is young right? Mine is six months old and he has came after me and hubby once or twice. After hubby got done with him he settled right down. He had to do what he did a few times. He chased him around the run and showed him who is boss of the run.

Rooster isn't a rooster until a year old so we have a cockerel. Ours is learning as he didn't have anyone to show him what to do. He is doing the best he can.

That said, maybe yours is trying to tag her? The girls are smart and if they notice he is trying to tag them they know how to get away from him if they want to. I have watched ours and the only time I see ours is when he is keeping the pullets in place while he tags them. He holds them in place with his beak the times I have watched ours. Roosters keep the girls in check so there isn't a pecking order. I know and I went threw murder without a rooster. Hen will take over the roll of rooster if something happens to them. One of ours did this the last few years.

Give him lots of time. Our cockerel was with the eight chicks that I picked up. I gained a cockerel.

Rooster do have their favorites. Ours hung out with one of the breeds we have and show them and told them what he wanted them to do. It was interesting watching him teach the one breed what he wanted them to do. That is a first.

You can reform roosters, it takes almost no effort but it takes time.

Put him into his own cage.

He'll try to call and impress the girls with titbitting which will not work because he is in his cage and the hens will ignore him in no time. this takes only a few days, but reforming him takes weeks or months. You can handfeed him all of his food and pat him when you do eventually and this brings about complete change.

Once he gets out in a few months when you want to incubate eggs, he's at the bottom of the pecking order almost, or at least the hens are not exactly interested in whatever he has to say and it takes time for him to re-establish his reputation. Oh, and when you do eventually let him out, he'll go for it with the nearest hen and that's to be somewhat expected. But he gets over it.

Back
Top Bottom