My Daughter and Her Little Sizzle named Chirpy

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
I had purchased 2 sizzle chicks at the beginning of this month from another BYC'er. One has smooth feathers and the other one is all frizzly, and both have feathered legs.

The one little frizzly one gave us problems the first couple days. I didn't know what it was, until I realize he wasn't finding the feeders. My daughter was so upset and she helped me bring him in the house for a couple nights. He slept in her room in a plastic tote on a smallish piece of flannel (and he pooped it up lol). She placed a dish of food and small waterer in with him and picked him fresh grass clippings. Two days later he went back outside and we just made sure he was the first chick to the feeder each day.

My daughter claimed that little chick as her own. I told her since she had helped me take care of him, she could have him. She named him Chirpy.

She babies him so much! She runs out every morning to check on him and make sure he is ok. She spends extra time feeding him, making sure he has water and grit. She takes scissors out and clips fresh green grass for him. She cuddles and coddles him, and he in turn, comes running across the yard when he sees her.

So she has asked us if he can be a house chicken.

Katie wants Chirpy to sleep in her room at night. She told her dad "I promise I will take him outside first thing every morning."

Dad said it is between me and her.

So here is the deal, I told her if I could find either an indoor rabbit cage with a droppings pan, or a chicken diaper small enough for her palm sized chicken, she can have him in the house.

She also wants to build him his own home
th.gif
She said she could build him his own mini coop with run.
gig.gif
I explained that he would get lonely in a coop and run by himself, and she very seriously replied, "Well, mom, you'll just have to order him a small girlfriend!"
ep.gif
She didn't even crack a smile when she said it!!

This is Chirpy.
14550_100_1704.jpg

So now I am wondering if I can find chicken diapers for him, if they come that small. I check for Chirpy every morning when I go out to feed the chickens, because if anything happens to him, it will devestate my daughter.

I know that is so because the other day she went outside and looked and looked for him. She came back in nearly in tears and said, "Mom, I can't find Chirpy anywhere." I had forgot to tell her I had put all of the little ones running loose in our smaller coop. She immediately ran out and "relieved" Chirpy from his prison
smile.png
He ran to her like always and they went about the yard like they always do, with her turning rocks and digging for bugs/worms or whatever and him eating it up as fast as possible.
smile.png

Looks like she is going to be keeping him in the house after all!
wink.png

A dear friend of mine is going to send her a super pet cage that I can set on her dresser for Chirpy. I will be able to use dowel rods for roosts and the bottom pan is deep enough for some bedding materials.

This same friend is also going to try to make Chirpy some chicken diapers!!
gig.gif

Katie is thrilled!!
jumpy.gif

LOL..
gig.gif
..first off i just have to say..my husband was just looking over my shoulder while i was looking at that cute pic..and he say:"what is that?..thats not a chicken is that?"..lol..men!!..
roll.png
..second..that is the cutest thing i have ever saw!!..i want one!!..
fl.gif
...Wendy

Well, if all goes well, by the end of October I will have some Frizzles hatching and Katie will get to have her choice of companion for Chirpy. Once the chicks are old enough to be with Chirpy, that is!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom