My daughter's growing up and I'm not ready...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Spookwriter, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    My daughter is 10...be 11 in October.

Her cell phone rang today and it was a BOY calling her!

I'm not ready for this. I'm not ever going to be ready for this. I've told her
    she can't date until she's 25...maybe 26, depends on how I feel.

Now my daughter, she might be a little spoiled. But I like her alot. Looks like
    her Momma.

Them boys are evil little things....I don't think I like this.

Tell me...How do you handle it when boys begin to call your daughter? Are you
    allowed to hurt them?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

oh man.i feel for you.......been there done that. i didnt allow it at that age..... it is so personal.if you feel it is not okay ,then stop it now...... they will adjust.......

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Dang, I wish I had a phone at 10, not that I needed one, but dang! I'd make sure she knows that it's okay to have boy friends, as long as they aren't boyfriends. The space should be at least 2 feet ride, like boy friends. [​IMG]

4. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    What's wrong with that? My best friend Andrew often calls me to talk about weird things.

As long as she's not 'liking them' in that way, I'm sure she'll be fine. And by the way, when she's a little older, teach her how to use firearms. [​IMG]

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    [​IMG] We were just talking about the same thing today!!!

My Granddaughter turned 13 today, (well, yesterday since it is after midnight now).

My son told us what a friend told him... It's better to have boys interested in her than to have to pay them to talk to her...and then you get to have more fun chasing them away!!!!

We told her she couldn't date until she was 30, and then only if we decided we liked the guy!!! We said he would not only have to be approved by her Dad (my son), but by me and DH.

She doesn't have a cell phone, and probably won't have one for at least another year. She usually doesn't go anywhere without any kind of supervision, so she doesn't need one.
    She goes with us to First Monday Trades Day nearly every month. This is the first year we have allowed her to go walk around by herself without an adult. We do give her one of our cell phones while she does this. Of course we have been setting up there for years, and know most of the vendors, and they know who she is, so they watch out for her as we do for other vendor's children. She has to stay in the animal section and check in from time to time.
    We hear from the other vendors about how well-mannered and how helpful she is, if anyone is having any issues with their animals escaping, or helping people get animals they have bought into carriers or their vehicles.

She almost always comes back with something one of the other vendors have given her, be it a ice cream cone or some critter!!! It's usually a critter for us to keep and feed for her!!!

If you have taught her well, she will remember it when the time comes, she just won't act like it in front of you...remember when you were her age???? You won't be intelligent again until she is much older!!!!

Just hang in there...it will be OK!!!
    Been through it...[​IMG] That is why I have so many gray hairs!!!

Jean

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I'm thinking that the people answering you on this thread aren't qualified unless they have kids OF THEIR OWN, otherwise of COURSE they're gonna say it's ok...LMAO!!

I am SO very glad that I had two boys... now, I have a 1 year old granddaughter... [​IMG] I'll give you some advice in about 10 years!

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, I worry about the girls as much as you worry about the boys...

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I totally understand how you feel. My one and only daughter is 15, and oh boy. She gave a year to God, where she didn't date. But that year passed by way too quickly, and dating she is. We have a lot of strict rules with her, and she constantly complains we are over-protective. Great! You might want to set some rules now, and decide what your boundaries will be.

Last December, my 12 year old performed in the band with the high schoolers at a football game. I was so not prepared for little girls to be coming up afterwards to talk to him. He's my baby! They grow up way too fast.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I was just telling this to dh the other day,because selling off the kids *little kid* toys has made me a bit sad. I don't mind the talking with the opposite sex,but the thought of sexual activity has got me concerned.The rise of STD cases and sexual acts other than intercourse....ugh. I think I saw a book recently about how oral sex is the in thing these days with teens and pre-teens. Like the choking game I wonder if it is better to bring it up,or will it give ideas to the kids to try it. I do miss the days when it was just tag,swimming,and video games!Well I am still at that point,but the *change* is coming soon.

10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Mine are a few years off from this but I have already started on the birds and bees talk and have been setting down rules. Under what circumstances they will get a cell phone. Make up age, Dating age. They already know what to expect.

The birds and the bees talk is difficult now. My parents never had one with me. I remember our pastors wife did. She told us it was disgusting and painful so don't bother doing it until we are married. That seemed to work for us actually.

With mine I ended up using swans and dogs as examples of how people approach this. If you act like a dog you can catch something. God wants us to be swans. They took that one pretty well I think.

My son will be 10 this year. I am just thankful he is a bit too immature still to bother with girls. If he has a girl call at this age he will bore the poor girl with talk of bakugan and his chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by