My DD's darling Pearl had a fatal accident :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Godiva, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    My DD (8yrs old) has had a BBMFD hen for just over three years. Her name was Pearl since her spots were pretty big and she was 'too' white. What a darling little bird she was - just the sweetest thing and my DD adored her! She was lifting a stepping stone for Pearl to get the bugs underneath when it slipped out of her hands and crushed Pearl's head. I did not see it happen but my DD started screaming and I turned around to see little Pearl convulsing. Its the MOST awful thing I have ever seen! And it just about killed me that DD had to go through that and see her little pet die that way! OMG, what a traumatic day. Everytime DD takes a breath she starts to cry again... poor kid is devastated. DH is away for 2 weeks and we just moved, I could not find the dang shovel to dig a hole to bury her,so DS kindly lent me his toy shovel (he's 5) and we had a ceremony in the veggie garden.(fenced to keep the bunnies and coyotes out) Pearl's 'sister' Amber has not been herself since it happened. She had rushed over to see what was happening with Pearl and I am sure 'knows' that Pearl is dead. Amber is usually very perky and up beat and she has been moping around with her tail pointing down at the ground instead of its usual d'Uccle stance. Amber is making DD even sadder as she can see that she is 'grieving' for her sister.

So I wanted to post some pics of them just to say goodbye to this sweet little bird...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Sorry for your loss. It even harder when its a children's pet.

3. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Aww, your poor daughter! [​IMG] to you both.

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    [​IMG] OH! How awful for a little girl to see that! I'm so, so sorry. You're mama-heart must break every time her's does. [​IMG]

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Oh I am so sorry. Your sweet daughter must be so sad. I hope she grieves for her best chicken friend and then moves on. Things happen in life and we learn from them and move on. I wish you all better days ahead and more happy chicken memories to come. I am so sorry.

Mary

6. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    aw...that's a tough one. I accidently did something similar to a pet ferret I had at a new apt. and the first nice day I opened the window and it came down on his neck and broke it. I was devasted. I still have a hard time thinking about that moment and it was over a decade ago. I know it was an accident but it's still tough none the less.

I hope your daughter realizes it was an accident and what precautions to take later in life. Accidents happen and while Pearl was in her care...she had a wonderful life. Maybe Pearl's sister needs some little girl hugs?

So soo sorry for your daughter and Pearl. [​IMG]

7. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks folks. Hopefully no nightmares tonight! DD has been giving lots of love and hugs to Amber.... she is such a softie with animals, and yes my heart just breaks for her... but as you say life does go on and hopefully I can find some nice replacement soon. I am hoping to get some d'Uccle eggs to put under Amber and Cleopatra when they next go broody. Of course they just got over their last broody spell and aren't even laying again yet [​IMG] It would have been nice to get her distracted with chicks - but I guess we'll just wait. In the meantime I will look around for someone who has the eggs I would really like and hopefully it won't be too long before she has a new buddy.

8. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Ohhh I'm so sorry that happened [​IMG] I hope your DD won't blame herself, poor girl!
    My sister accidentally let our cat out of the door and he ran across the street when we were little. She was calling him and he started to come back across the street and she saw him get ran over by a van [​IMG] She felt really bad about it for a long time. Even though it wasn't her fault, just an accident. But, our cat Nugget was 19 years old (just a few months shy of 20), so he had a nice long life.

10. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG] so sad...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by