my delema with fencing for my horses

kansas_twister

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
s.w. kansas
just wondering any one else has done this yet?, my husband has left it up to me to fix a small pasture for abby and star so they can be turned out in the day time.

here's what i want to do.......abby and star share a 90 x 60 ft pen with a barn that has 2 box stalls (open right now to walk through) at the south end i have a 16 ft gate that opens in to an area we don't use on the farm and hate to mow. from the back of our garage we have another small area that is about 90 x 40 that is fenced in that i plan to expand, i want to join all 3 areas in to 1 and have been racking my brain for about a week about the electric fence till now.
i need to jump the electricty from one side to the other (once end of the garage to the other side) so i can enlage the pasture past my hen house and around my trees and back up to the corner post by the gate. has any one ever used lawn hose to carry the wire current through? if so tell me how that went and did it last long?

Sorry, I can't help you!
hmm.png

I've never really delt with an electric fence before. Hopefully someone that has will read this and give you some advice. Good luck!

fl.gif

Andi

I've never done the hose thing, but I have to"jump" my electric fence from one side of my driveway to the other.

I took an extension cord that hubby had hit with the mower, cut off both ends and cut to the length I needed and wired securely from the charger to the other fence. It worked great until hubby hit it with the mower. (Come on now, who mows the driveway, LOL)

They have a jumping wire that I used at my old place. I'm thinking that it wasn't overly cheap. That's probably one of the reasons that I started using the extension cords.

Good luck
Smiles
Jul

I too have never used lawn hose to carry the current through. We use electric fencing though, and it goes all around the one side of our property, than to the barn, and than around the barn area and than out to the back pasture. When we created our pasture for our horses in the area to the side of our house, we connected it by making a "gate" using a piece of electric fencing and with the handle on it, so we just hook it onto the part of the electric fencing and it all works, Don't know if this makes sense at all, but we have our horses separated from the rest of the barn area because of the cows, but as long as the fencing is connected some how, it still has a good current.

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing (it's easy to confuse me!
tongue.png
), but I have wire running through PVC tubing and it has worked fine for years.

I tried the garden hose method once. After a couple of days, my horses just walked through my fence.!!! The hoses didn't work well for me.

I bought insulated wire to "jump" from one area to another. Worked great, and I didn't have worry about me or anyone else accidently touching a hot wire. I am a shock magnet, I think.

Jean

Quote:
We do the same for gates and bury the wire.

Another thing you could do is just buy a solar panel and run a separate strand for the new area. I believe the 3-mile panels are just $100.00- not a bad deal, imo. Ours has worked like a charm for years.

If you are asking about how to run it from one side of a building to the other side safely....I use outdoor electrical wire. (like is used for running regular electricity). It carrys the charge to the other side of the building without causing a fire or shock risk to people, animals and stuctures.

Last edited:
I have a 10 mile solar charger, got it at either home depot or lowes, was only 70.00... Works great.
You can use ruber hose to jump from area to area. Be sure to go up from the ground far enough so that where the wire enters the hose isnt able to be grounded out by weeds and such..As long as noone is driving over it it should be fine. It doesnt hold up real well to lots of trucks going over it, tends to break the wire inside the hose. You can bury it or nail it along side the wall or whatever works for your situation. I have a 100 mile charger that is a plug in type, I got real creative as to how to jump areas LOL..
Also use the silver wire to go thru the hoses, not the tape.. Matter of fact I dont much care for the tape.. I like the wire best..

What I did and this is kind of tacky, but it works and is very inexpensive. I just nailed insulators along the back of my garage and then ran the wire along the insulators, like you would with a post and wire fence. I used black insulators, and it is on the back side so it's not that noticeable....

Back
Top Bottom