My dog attacked my chicken!!

MsChickenMomma

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Last night at about 6:30pm, my dog attacked my beloved house chicken. She went into severe shock. The only marks I find were a few scrapes along her beak, and a puncture on the top of her head (the dog got his mouth around her head). The puncture on her head only broke the skin, and it didn't look at all deep. But I think it caused swelling on her brain.

She almost died this morning. She lost all control of her neck and wings, so I had to hold her up to keep her from falling. Her digestive system shut down from the shock, so we couldn't get pedialyte to go through her system and revive her from the shock. It all just sat in her crop. I was up most of the night comforting her and keeping her comfortable.

Early this morning her digestive system finally kicked back into gear, and we were able to get her to react to some pedialyte. She is still on her death bed though. I am going to do everything I can to keep her comfortable and hopefully save her. Taking her to the vet to be euthanized is not an option. That would only stress her out more, and if she is going to pass, I want it to be as peaceful a death as possible.

Her current symptoms:

Weakness in neck.
Labored breathing,
Fixed eyes (won't dilate),
Extreme exhaustion,
Weakness in her legs,
Dizziness,
and mucus like poop.

She is currently in her coop in my room, sleeping. What I want to know, is there anything I can give for swelling to hopefully remove the pressure from her brain and alleviate some of her symptoms.

She is definitely a fighter, and she hasn't given up. She spent all night trying to stand even when she couldn't, and when she was close to death this morning, she wouldn't keep her eyes closed. It's almost like she knew that she would pass if she gave in.

This is the second time in her 7 month live that she has had a severe near death experience. I have faith in her to pull through this, but I have to be able to help her through it. Are there any medications I can give her, or something to help with these symptoms? She is very important to me, and as long as she's fighting it, I am going to do what I can to help her. This is kind of an emergency, so I need some responses ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

Her symptoms indicate she has a serious injury,i will be honest it does not sound good,prepare yourself for her passing. Head trauma can be very serious,even though you cannot see wounds does not mean there isn't serious trauma to brain. Keep her warm,chickens cannot regulate body temp when ill/injured,you can try and give her a baby aspirin(81mg)or a regular 325mg aspirin,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Aspirin helps with swelling. Give electrolyles for shock. Try placing a hot water bottle beside her,this helps for additional heat.

I know the chances of her survival are extremely slim. But I have to do everything in my power to keep her comfortable.

I just gave her 5cc of pedialyte (that's all I could get in her), and now she's sitting on my lap wrapped in a blanket. She seems comfortable, but still not at all like herself. :(

I know the chances of her survival are extremely slim. But I have to do everything in my power to keep her comfortable.

I just gave her 5cc of pedialyte (that's all I could get in her), and now she's sitting on my lap wrapped in a blanket. She seems comfortable, but still not at all like herself.
sad.png
Head trauma can take several days before you notice any improvement. I would try some aspirin,if there is swelling this may help.

I have a silkie rooster that suffered some sort of head trauma(no wounds)he was basically comatose,i tube feed him for 9 days( and added aspirin to water)he finally started eating on his own and is now perfectly healthy. So yes never give up,i just wanted you to understand how critical she is. My concern is a crushed skull,brain trauma,fixed pupils,dizziness all indicate head trauma.

Thank you. My dad is on his way to the store now to get some baby aspirin. Even if it doesn't help her symptoms, it will help her if there is any pain.

I won't give up hope for her. :hugs

I'm so sorry Ashley! I'm not to good with these chicken problems, I have only had chickens for 6 months. I'm sure this isn't helping, just wanted to let you know I hope she gets better and pulls through. She's a strong girl.

Ok, so I talked to my mom (who is a vet). She said just keep her warm and comfortable. Make sure she has food and water near. She also said never to give any animal aspirin so.. She said it is dangerous for animals. I hope Sunni is okay!
My vet said it was ok to give and i have given it to many an animal,you cannot give tylenol as it is toxic to animals.

If your mom is a vet,why didn't you ask her what treatment to give?

Last edited:
My vet said it was ok to give and i have given it to many an animal,you cannot give tylenol as it is toxic to animals.

If your mom is a vet,why didn't you ask her what treatment to give?
Well, she is a dog & cat vet and she said when she was at vet school they only spent one day on poultry, just 1 day. She said that she was told that aspirin is dangerous for all animals except it can be okay for dogs. She said just not give animals aspirin at all.

Well, she is a dog & cat vet and she said when she was at vet school they only spent one day on poultry, just 1 day. She said that she was told that aspirin is dangerous for all animals except it can be okay for dogs. She said just not give animals aspirin at all.
Any medication can be dangerous to any animal if not given properly. I have personally given aspirin to a dog for arthritis,a cat for pain(you have to know the weight of animal and the correct dosage info when giving to cats)and chickens,with never any problems.

If you and your mom feel uncomfortable about giving aspirin then just leave her and do as your mom suggests.

Best wishes for your girl,i hope she starts to show an improvement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom