my dog attacked my chickens

I have an older friend that was raised on a sizeable dairy farm (for it's day). She told a story of breaking a dog of the habit. Now, let me preface this with the point that I have NEVER seen her be anything but gentle and patient with all animals.....they all seem to recognize something in her that makes them comfortable with her (whisperer-like).....She frequently rescues snakes from frantic people even.....that being said, her "breaking story" will probably sound harsh.
Apparently, she was greeted one day with a total masacre of birds, carried out by the young adult dog on the farm. As a response, she took the one he was still playing with (already deceased) and struck him with it repeatedly, while asserting in a DOMINANT, gutteral, growling tone that "this is a NO, BAD DOG". This she continued as long as it took to walk him sharply to his house (his "safe place"). Apparently he never took the opportunity to attack a bird again. And was actually scared of all birds after that.
Personally the electric fence thing sounds like a good idea. Although, it is probably more appropriate to evaluate your individual dog's personality and learning potential. Find the best suited solution based on that. And based on your dominance or lack of dominance over your dog. Remember, dogs are pack animals and will either perceive you as being dominant or subordinate to them. If they rule your pack, choose something that fits into that balance. It will be a battle of trial and error and definately of wills. But I can still remember a fellow 4-H member in the dog club, that had a highstrung dog that was deliberately trained to chase and kill cats.....he was barely bigger than the dog, and our meeting were held in a barn full of cats. It took MONTHS, while we were all learning obedience by leaps and bounds, and he was still working on one command "NO, don't chase".....but by the end of the season, that dog could sit at your side, see a cat, and not break into a dead-run to kill it. He wanted to....but he didn't. It's a lot of work to change behavior after the fact. It is easier to socialize them in the beginning. If you ever have a puppy or kitten, there is an age where they imprint, raise them in the hen house during that time. They will be well socialized and usually perceive them as "pack members" not prey.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your chickens.You can teach or even re-train most dogs to not go after chickens.But it is hard work.You just have to keep at it.I like electric fences,too but I had rather my dogs help protect the birds up close.Its your choice as what works best for you.I have a shock collar that I really like.It has 10 shock setting plus a beeper.I use mine mostly for when I'm inside and the dog is outside.If I'm outside I don't hollow no and then shock.I let the dog think it was his actions that caused the shock,not me.Works really well when you're watching from the window and fido takes out after a chick and "smack" hmm,that chicks bottom just fried me.LOL.And ma wasn't even out here.I start out with a very small shock and can usually use just the beeper pretty fast after that.I know some folks don't like the idea of "shocking" their dog,I don't like having to shock one either,but if I had rather shock my dog before it ran into the road and got hit by a car than try to revive it afterwards.I don't think I can "shock" it back to life after its been hit.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom