My dog got to my chicken. New to chickens please help.

Haley Fye

Hatching
Jun 1, 2023
My chicken escaped the coop and my French bulldog pulled out a bunch of her feathers. I’ve separated her from the coop and applied bacitracin ointment on her exposed skin. Is there anything else I should do for her? My neighbor is going to bring a big dog crate so I can still keep her in the coop so she does not get de acclimated.
IMG_3977.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens,
Keep her quiet for a couple days. She was not hurt really bad.
Do you have blue coat it is keep others from picking on the bald area.
Do you have a dog crate you can keep her in a day or so.
Make a scrambled egg. offer water.

Hi. Thank you so much for the response and advice. Could you tell me what a blue coat is?
blue kote can be found in most feed stores. comes in as a spray or regular bottle.

Blu-Kote is a germ-killing, fungicidal wound dressing and healing aid that works to protect animals against common infections and pus-producing bacteria. It penetrates the skin and dries quickly, reducing pus formation and drying up secretions of pox-like lesions.

For animal use:

• Treats Bumblefoot in chickens, hamsters, guinea pigs; scratches on horses; goat pox; ringworm; wire cuts
  • Useful as a marking agent for animals and in treating proud flesh in horses
  • Useful after castration, on the umbilical cord to dry out the wound
  • Prevents group pecking in chickens

That happened to me last year. We kept the hen inside 24 hours, in a quiet room. Then put her in a cage with the free ranging flock - she did not like that one bit. Within a couple of days she was back with the flock. We never used blue coat - the skin healed quickly and we didn’t see any pecking. Blue coat will cover any red, which reduces the risk of flock mates pecking at the wound.

Back
Top Bottom