My dog has cancer

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Just found out my doggie, Hattie, has cancer. She had surgery last week. Now she needs radiation. I am moving to our new house next weekend (finally), and I put a lot of savings into the purchase. I do know how much I can afford, and I am heartbroken.

I know a lot of people can just shrug it off because she's just a dog, but I love her very, very much. Please be kind if you choose to reply. I know that, speaking practically, I should just let it go. But practicality be damned. I love my dog.

20200627_152758.jpg

Our dog, who was even then elderly, grew tumors in her leg. They were located, or at least extending into, the space between the bones. What I'm saying is the veterinarian surgeon was able to remove most of the tumors but we always knew there would be residual malignancy there.

One vet we went to had a whole regimen of chemo and radiation all lined up for her. The vet who performed the surgery said for a dog that age she would remove what she could of the tumors and we would proceed based on how she recovered.

It's been 4 years since the surgery. She never had additional treatments. We are just now beginning to see that she has trouble with that leg. But at her present age, she's also having issues with deafness and we're not sure how well she sees. Her time is approaching. But she had 4 more good years and what she didn't have was constant trips to the vet and all the side effects of those drugs and radiation.

Animals have those awful side effects too, you know. Make sure the vet will discuss them honestly and candidly with you.

We feel like we made the right decision. It's the decision I would have made for myself. Will make for myself one day, if I'm lucky and can be consulted. You'll have to make yours. But, whatever you decide, remember that we were all born with expiration dates. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way of life and we all pass through the very sad times and get to the happy memories.

Best wishes to you and to Hattie. It will be OK. ...whatever you decide. And Hattie has already had a whole lifetime of your love and care.

Just found out my doggie, Hattie, has cancer. She had surgery last week. Now she needs radiation. I am moving to our new house next weekend (finally), and I put a lot of savings into the purchase. I do know how much I can afford, and I am heartbroken.

I know a lot of people can just shrug it off because she's just a dog, but I love her very, very much. Please be kind if you choose to reply. I know that, speaking practically, I should just let it go. But practicality be damned. I love my dog.

View attachment 2240444
My heart goes out to you @Aunt Angus

I can tell that is one good dog! And that dog loves you a lot! I can tell.

My prayers first. And my suggestions are; Feed that dog some really good things, I'm talkking REALLY GOOD THINGS! And, love that dog every second you are around it and whatever decision you make, will be the right one!

Hugs to both of you!

That is such a sweet looking dog....sorry you're having to deal with this. How old is she?
My current dog is only three years old and already I am so attached.
I know a lot of people can just shrug it off because she's just a dog
She isn't just a dog. I don't see where the just comes in. Dogs are such intelligent, sweet animals. And that looks like a very special dog. I love her smile.

Deepest condolences and yes, I understand completely how you feel. We have a 20 year old cat who is diabetic. Most people would euthanize a cat with diabetes, trust me, it's no picnic giving him shots twice a day, occasional glucometer sticks, etc, let alone buying 150 dollar a bag cat food plus insulin and syringes but we love him so it isn't a hardship, it's a blessing as every day with this sweet boy is a treat.

My advice is talk to your Veterinarian about the plight you are in. There may be a teaching hospital nearby that would be willing to treat for using your pup for teaching or treat for lowered cost.

Don't give up. Don't despair. Start making phone calls and see if there are any humane societies or rescues near you who might have resources or references for you if your vet doesn't.

I wish the very best and a long life to your fur baby. We have 7 dogs, 5 cats and 40 chickens. They all leave paw prints on your heart.

Back
Top Bottom