My dog just went crazy, what should I do?

Quote:
What would you do chickerdoodle? I understand there are many ways to train dogs and they all work. I am willing to be educated.

I myself have been challenged by large dogs and being only 4'11' I am not an imposing figure. My technique has worked for me and my clients. Basically I take the dog off their guard by totally changing my body language and tone of voice. Instead of leaving the room right away I get a little lower by bending down a bit (do not put your face any closer to them--you may even have to slightly lean back to keep it non threatening and not cause escalation of aggression) and ask the dog "What's wrong, Cherokee (use your dog's name)?" in a higher, quizzical and non threatening tone. You may have to repeat it once or twice. I do not expect the dog to understand the actual words (except their name) but it helps me say it better. If it gets them to stop growling for an instant it opens up the communication between both of you. Once you have the dog's attention you have the chance to change it. I then immediately get treats (or a favorite toy) and show it to them saying excitedly "do you want it, do you want it??" holding it just close enough to get them wanting it but not able to get it without getting off the couch. The very second they get off the couch to get it I say "Off" in a normal tone. I then add a few seconds later "good dog!" Repeat and treat. Repeat and treat. Do the exercise in different places in the house and even different furniture. Do it whenever you enter the room and praise the dog. This is of course a condensed version.

My Belgian Malinois that I adopted for the military (she was patrol and explosives detection MWD) tested me soon after we got her. She is extremely confident and assertive. I also wanted her to get off the couch and she snarled showing all of her pearly whites with ears forward. My method worked wonderfully and I'm sure her handler never looked as silly as I did doing this technique. She challenged on several occasions but after making her sit for food, wait, off, leave it and many other commands she is now a big goofy girl that little kids can hang on or pet (more like bang her on the head) while she smiles with her tongue hanging out wagging her tail.

Do read Dr. Patricia McConnell's books if you get the chance. She is widely regarded as one of the best and is also a frequent contributer for Bark magazine.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Can I interject here? After reading through this, it appears this boils down to two obvious courses of action... 1) train the dog or 2) put the dog down. There is a lot of good information and advice given here, professional and personal opinions, but it is ultimately up to the owner to decide which road to take. Please don't turn this into an argument? Let it go. I'm assuming that the OP is out doing what she needs to.
smile.png

OK. Agreed.​

Jake,
Put a muzzle on the GP, the kind that looks like a cage.
And start training. Please don't give up on your GP, there is plenty of room to still learn NO MATTER how old they are or set in their ways.

If you need help, after you muzzle, load him/her up in the car and come on over. Lexi & I would be happy to help you retrain her thinking.

Yes I'm serious.

Back
Top Bottom