My Dog was Attacked

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Adora, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    I have a 20 mo old English Pointer who was violently attacked today. She got tore up pretty good, but there is one problem I am having and I've searched online for any topic on it, and I can't find it. She is spayed, but thats not the real concern as lets say the male that attacked her didn't have good aim. What can that do to her, and what should I look for?
    I have her as bandaged as I can get, She has marks in her leg, her head, she is just pitiful, and she won't walk, she lays in bed, and she'll sit up to eat and drink when we offer food and water, or turn her head as to say no thanks. Ik she can walk if she needs too, as she walked in the house, and she stood for her bath. She wants to be on our bed with us (which is where she sleeps), we've lined the bed with rubber sheets, as she really can't get down alone. Vet said to give her 400mg of amoxicillan, but that was over the phone, he never saw her.

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am sorry about that. Call the vet back and get a pain reliever. I dont know why he didnt prescribe it with the amoxicillin. Advocate for you pup, tell the vet you dont care it is New Years eve!

why wasnt the other dog on a leash?

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Get her to the vet first thing in the AM!!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Lock for tremors (shaking) and pus. If you have this product, Chlorhexidine- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorhexidine

you
    can clean the wounds.

I keep Metacam on hand to treat for pain you don't have any amox- or don't know how to dose it for your dog let us know.

how heavy is your dog?

Get her to the VET

5. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so sorry [​IMG]

6. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    She was attacked by another dog? Did you see the fight? Who's dog was it, make sure it rabies is up to date. Are their puncture wounds? If so you need to keep them open and draining, you will get bad abcesses if you don't. A dog fight shouldn't cause this amount of pain, when did it happen? Take her temp and see if she is running a fever (if this was a few days ago she could already be infected and with a fever they won't eat). We need more details I guess.

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    she may be in shock...they dont need to be torn up to get shocky,,she needs to be at a vet if she is she will need antishock meds IV..

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:I agree with not closing puncture wounds--they need to drain to help avoid abcesses. I have to disagree with the amount of pain, though. Dog fight wounds; lacerations, punctures, and plain crushing wounds, where no skin is even broken, can be incredibly painful and make it difficult to move. We see it frequently at the er, and we always prescribe pain meds. Please take your dog TO your vet, have her evaluated, have her wounds properly clipped and cleaned, and get her some pain medication. If you've ever had a bite wound, you know how very painful that can be. Good luck!

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    A friend's australian shepherd was recently mauled by a loose pitbull in the park.....the dog nearly killed him, ripped his throat open and was shaking him like a rag doll. The dog was in massive amounts of pain for weeks. Required two surgeries, multiple vet stays, IV pain meds, etc. I think the shock of the attack was causing his "strange behavior" as much as the pain from the injuries. He was hiding and terrified for days afterwards. It did turn out the the first surgery did not close some of the internal tearing and he had to operated on again.....at which point he started improving.

I would definitely take her to a vet, even an emergency vet, for at least an evaluation.

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Quote:Even if there's no outward sign of prolapse there could be perforations to the intestine or bladder, among other internal injuries. Hoping you were able to get her in for exam. I'm so sorry [​IMG] and hoping she will recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by