1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY DOG

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kelliepulido, Feb 8, 2012.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Working on my skills Dedra Sue was in the photo shoot today[​IMG]

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Wow, she looks like a statue from acient Egypt

3. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    thanks she should be trialing this year can't wait to get started on the circuit

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Pretty girl!! [​IMG]

5. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    What sport are you trialing in? Schutzhund, FR, MR? What breeding program is she from? Who do you train with?

Good luck and good for you getting out there to compete. Just getting ready to trial is so much work!

MR Nationals were here last year and I had a blast just attending. I would love to have a pup from Loups du Soleil in the future but right now most of my clients meet with me on the weekends so I can't get to the club the days they meet.

My working dog is the proverbial square peg/round hole situation in regards to Ring sports (she's too big) but we still do bite work and OB. My retired male was the 3rd Boerboel in the US to earn a BH and my girl will be adding that to her list of accomplishments this year. She tore a cruciate and I broke my leg so we haven't competed in awhile.

Best,

Julie

6. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    French ring.Good for you getting out as well.I train with Michigan ring club our own breeding program she is a great little girl.My other boy Cole who is retired this year Has his ring 3 x6!! He is out our own breeding program as well.My GSD has his ring 1,as well as Vinnie my blond malinois just not able to go any further with them .. but all good handler experience for me!!Every dog improves my skills.

7. Jubilee1111

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    You go get 'em Kellie! Good luck this year with Dedra Sue.

Cole got his FR3 SIX times? Yeah!

I agree, every dog you campaign improves your handler skills. Though your handler skills are apparently already rockin' :)

Let me ask you... outside of the obvious differences between individual dogs and working around heat cycles, how different is trialing a female Mali than a male?

8. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Well....... that is a long story.|BMT'S Cole has been a true test.NO body thought he and I would ever make it.I was a beginner no training exper.and he was a little **** with all kinds of issues.He is very handler aggressive,very dog aggressive and very dominant.It took me 6yrs to get a 3 on him.He had many fights at the house and got all tore up every year.He has 3 missing canines as well as some other missing teeth from bite work,he looks like a hound dog.I got in a big arguement with my Training director and he kicked me out for 1yr.So my husband bought a suit.Any person in their right mind would have put the little **** down he can not be trusted around people really and especially dogs.If anybody tries to pet him otherwise he is ok.He has drive over the top tolerates the heat well and would work til he dropped.He is autistic for ring although his pedigree is all schutz and his dad was a working k9 in Gary INd.He spins in his crate at training waiting for his turn and digs when it is finally his turn he is covered in spit.He tore my rotator cuff and I had back surgery from working him.He would not out and would not hold a line of departure and would not stay on the basket but at long last after 6yrs he had his ring 3 and went on to many more.If you ask some people at trials if they know who he is they usually do.He is little,has lots of scars no teeth and a tight coat and his ears never stood up.But I love him and learned alot.He has lots of trophies.... Breeding program at our club progressed and we had some nice dogs scoring some big ring 3s so those dogs were bred and we have Dedra Sue.She is a true dream to work.Her obed.is correct and up beat she is not handler aggressive,verbal corrections usually work.She is very athletic a nice small build and bites well.She loves me and will work.She is also quiet.Cole barked through his whole ring 3 routines which you know heats them up fast.Dedra is a hard biddable worker.A joy which took me a couple years to appreciate.She should be a point dog in the end.Cole would never score big pts.His obed.was good but sloppy and he bit me up through the whole routine.My coat was shreds on the cuffs and my hands were always bruised.

9. Jubilee1111

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Wow, Kellie, you have my utmost respect for seeing it through with Cole. Handler and dog aggression are such a pain! Not to mention his having to vent vocally. I would bet that looking back, you can see your patience has grown exponentially over the past years as a result.

Sounds like Dedra Sue is going to be a breath of fresh air for you. You won't be buying nearly as many jackets, or epsom salt :)

I wish the best of luck and hope she is all you have been hoping for in a competition dog!

Best,

Julie

10. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Thanks Julie!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by