My dogs brought home a chicken...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts/opinions in general about people who feel they or their animals are above or exempt from the laws that govern the 'rest of us' ;

The idea that you have 11 acres; therefore you are unable to fence that much, is an excuse.

Why are you & your dogs allowed to be a nuisance to everyone else?

Your post has actually made me angry.
somad.gif

Dog runs come in all sizes, and can be built from scratch to accommodate any dogs needs................I'm just sayin'

I agree with the previous post; one day, they simply won't come home.

And that's on YOU.

To the OP: Since you plan to get chickens I do hope that you will stay with this forum even though this has been a tough thread. It's just that the whole "dogs running loose" topic is a very hot one. I think probably every one of us has had to deal with the loose dog issue and it's very unpleasant for us, for the dog, for the dogs owner. It's a bad situation for all involved. When you have your own flock at some point you will be faced with the same issue of dealing with somebody elses dog. Then I think you'll understand first hand the frustration and anger that has been expressed on this thread.

The "dogs running loose topic" is a hot one for many of us in more than one way.....not just defensive of our right to keep chickens and someone else not having the right to turn their dogs loose on us, but, as others have mentioned, we love ALL animals and it makes us hot for sake of the DOGS as well! I am a dog owner, have been over years a breeder, trainer, exhibitor, groomer, and rescuer of DOGS. And even if chickens are COMPLETELY out of the picture, it makes me hot mad that people won't keep their dogs safeyl confined, to me that's basic to good care of their their dogs! A dog owner should keep his/her dog safely confined no matter what!
And as others have pointed out, just because you have 11 acres, why would you have to fence it all? Both now with my 2 1/2 acres, I've only dog-proof fenced a normal sized back yard for my dogs.

I don't have near the problem with stray and wandering dogs herewhere I live now that I did most the years of my farmsteading...I live right on a very busy state highway...this highway 'takes care of' stray/wandering/free running dogs pretty fast. I've rescued many off this highway, returned to owners when I could find them, but have also learned just like when it was dogs returning to my chickens, now if I see the same dog on this highway the 2nd time, after the owner was notified the 1st time, if I can get the dog in safely before its hit, I will find it a new home elsewhere, not call them or return it again. I've now seen too many laying dead out here after I had already returned them more than once. One of my present dogs is a rescue off this highway, that despite posting signs and flyers, I never found the owner for. He's a wonderful dog, 80 lb lab, obedience trained, a sweet heart, loves my little grandkids, and even now introduced to my "Chicken Little", I think will be safe with chickens.I feel kinda bad for who lost him, IF it were really some odd circumstances, but not at all if they let him run loose. I wasn't looking for a dog, didn't want another dog, but I've accomadated him, andhaving done so, will love, care for, and protect him from this deadly highway best I can.

So clearly I don't hate dogs, and neither do most those here that are trying to protect their chickens and telling the OP to keep her dogs home annd safe!

Last edited:
I'm just seriously surprised your ok with letting your dogs wander :hmm
The thought of disease and death does not seriously worry you? One bite from a rabid disease ridden raccoon and poof there done.

On the topic of it finding a dead bird without any insides. It is very possible a local neighbor could be trying to get rid of a bothersome raccoon, coyote, or even very possibly your own dogs. Even though it is illegal it will not stop some people.
Story time, my neighbor up the road had a lab, hound cross, and has a lot of property.
However, he always let the dog out off leash because he felt the dog would not hurt anyone or go far.
The dog was cute and he was right, it never wandered to far or hurt anyone, it just loved to play with the beef cows. Literally they played in the cow field.
Then one day the dog went up and tried to play with the dairy cows...As you can guess that did not go over big with the owner when they stressed and flattened one of there own in the scramble.
The farm owner warned the guy multiple times.
And he just kept saying "Don't worry she wont hurt no one, she wont hurt no one she never goes far"
No, intentionality the dog did not hurt anyone or even go after anyone. It was used to playing with the beef cows.
Well, after the...I think it was four times the farmer complained, the just dog vanished...Just flat out vanished and no one can prove what happened or didn't happen.
True story, I liked that dog, and now shes gone.
If you cant see your dog, you can not protect or save your dog from what may happen. All it takes is a second for an accident to happen.

If you still want to let your dogs out off leash/fence, i would walk to all of your local neighbors and let them know about your dogs.
Let them know that if there is any problem that they are to call you directly, and give them your number. This way you can monitor there actions should they wander to far one day, and this way if they do cause trouble you will know about it and can then make the decision as to what you want to do. Leash/fence/pen them, or continue to let them out and just non stop monitor there out time.
I would still never be able to let my dogs out off leash, not after dealing with so many rabid, nasty, diseased things...
But I hope this may help!

Mulewagon...careful and tread lightly because I know what dog did it, it could have been avoided had the owner listened months ago and kept his dog at home and third I have no fear of being reported...so you join me on that break or zip your lips when directed at me unless you can walk in my shoes and have my opinions based on my experience. I did not misunderstand anything I assure you. You have not read this thread apparently nor been around here long enough to have read the hundreds of heartbroken posts caused by irresponsible dog owners. You want candy coating then I suggest visiting a Willy Wonka site because you will get straight talk on BYC regarding roaming dogs...deal with it.

I know this thread has been done to death - but whether your dogs are killing livestock or not, it's not even remotely safe for them to be running loose. Not at all. When I visit dad's farm, my little dog (dorky little chi/corgi mix) is practically attached to my hip. Why? Not the neighbors - the donkeys. He's got some really, really malicious donkeys out there - I swear, they lick their lips when they catch wind of a potential predator. An especially aggressive guard donkey can put down a dog with one kick.

Also, if your dogs 'found' rat poison 'somewhere,' after roaming loose for the past six months... it's entirely possible it wasn't an accident.

Bottom line, this isn't just an issue of what you think your dogs "should" be able to do - your dogs are animals. They don't know any better and are utterly incapable of protecting themselves from a man with a gun, misplaced rat poison, a donkey - whatever. It's your job to make sure they live long, healthy, full lives, even if you don't think your dogs "should" be in danger. They are in danger. If that's not a good enough reason to do something differently, perhaps you should rehome them.

Mulewagon...careful and tread lightly because I know what dog did it, it could have been avoided had the owner listened months ago and kept his dog at home and third I have no fear of being reported...so you join me on that break or zip your lips when directed at me unless you can walk in my shoes and have my opinions based on my experience. I did not misunderstand anything I assure you. You have not read this thread apparently nor been around here long enough to have read the hundreds of heartbroken posts caused by irresponsible dog owners. You want candy coating then I suggest visiting a Willy Wonka site because you will get straight talk on BYC regarding roaming dogs...deal with it.

Someone obvisiouly did not take a break. Since your whole vent started with MY post, and MY terrible use of the "smilies", and MY total ensenativity to a topic that very well happened to ME also, and for trying to not be so hateful in posting (Candy Coating from Willy Wonkas Factory I'm sure) on a very threating topic. I wil just say that I am sorry for your loss and I hope in due time you can come down off that High Horse your on and realize I was not posting in a LAUGHING MANOR... I was simply implying that when ppl have this happen to them they would understand...did you read the karma part of my post? I was also thinking at the time of posting that ppl were suggesting she not get chickens, but for some ppl the only way to figure it out is to live and learn............And also if you had been telling your neighbors for months to take care of their dogs, why did you not shoot them, protecting your flock? Why did you not report their dogs?

Yes, I'm aware of this mentality and am trying to avoid it. Is it advisable to go talk to other surrounding farms to find out where the flocks are and to explain that we're not purposely letting our dogs roam? Let them know to call us and we'll come get the dogs if they end up in a neighbor's yard? We are new (6 months) to the "neighborhood" and I want to be on friendly terms.

please hitch those poor dogs before they get shot
they don't know they are doing wrong ....but you now do

... I was simply implying that when ppl have this happen to them they would understand...did you read the karma part of my post? I was also thinking at the time of posting that ppl were suggesting she not get chickens, but for some ppl the only way to figure it out is to live and learn............And also if you had been telling your neighbors for months to take care of their dogs, why did you not shoot them, protecting your flock? Why did you not report their dogs?

I was not a high horse nor was my post regarding Willy Wonka directed at you or a result of anything you posted. Yes I read your post on karma. As for her getting chickens so she can "learn" why not give her some of your birds to learn with...As to the neighbor and his dogs...I just one week ago left a note on his door and the lady next to him advising them that the next time their dogs were on my property they would be shot on sight and I have, along with another neighbor, have filed 2 separate complaints about the dogs with local authorities and called the SPCA and Humane Society...we were told to shoot them by the cops and the SPCA said they did not have resources to do anything about it.

Now, had the deputy NOT shot the dog, I would have followwed it home, shot it and retrieved my rooster from its mouth myself! As it was, the deputy shot the dog for me. Believe me, I have no problem pulling the trigger on a predator, none whatsoever.

Does that answer your questions satisfactorily? Hopefully it does because I am done with this thread and hopefully the OP will manage to keep her dogs alive and never own chickens to subject them to what will most likely be a massacre.

Have a great day!

If I am ever lucky enough to own acres I will fence in atleast one acre for any dogs we own,or better yet for the chickens. I gave up a drivewway and siding to put up our current fence.I wish we had the other stuff done,but the security of the fence is wonderful. Having experienced a dog on(my) dog attack I have no doubt now that I will take care of a neighobrs dog if it enters my yard and attacks. Before I used to just catch and hold the dog for owners/ac never thinking they would attack me or mine.

Dogs are loyal to the owners,and even the sweetest one can bite someone for no reason. I keep telling my kids that when adults say," Oh sure you can pet my dog he/she won't bite."
Ds was a toddler when the neighbors dog bit HIM on the face while he was petting the dog.That is why dogs should be kept home in a secure fenced in area.Like cats they get up to no good when they roam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom