My dogs eat each others collars! Help

Horsefly

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Virginia
I have two 13 month old lab cross puppies and they play fight all day long. Well they live in an underground electric fence area and are kenneled at night. When they were around 6 months old they started chewing each others collars off at night in the kennel. We tried to keep collars on them for a little while but gave up and took the collars off at night. When we put the shock fence in we were careful not to leave the collars on while locked up because they are $100 each. These collars have heavy duty plastic straps with the plastic shock box on them.
Well one of them broke last month and it was under warrenty still so they sent us a new one but it had a different strap. 2 days after wearing the new collar it came off or something and they chewed it up breaking it. Because it was a faulty strap they sent us another collar. It took 3 weeks to come in because it was on back order and one of the dogs didn't have a collar during that time and didn't try and break out. Well 3 days before the new collar came in the male dog chewed just the box part off the working collar leaving it on the female dog but breaking the box. Grrrrrr that's $100 down the drain. Now neither have working shock collars on them and it's only a matter of time till they figure out they can get out. We got the new collar in 2 days ago and are going to buy another collar to replace the chewed one.
We have been scared to put the new collar on because we can't aford to have it broken also. I rubbed Tabasco hot sauce all over the broken collar and put it on the dog. Those stupid dogs liked it and went around licking it!!!!! Then I tried soap, same story!! What is something dogs hate the taste of to keep them from chewing?
We are going to try the bitter apple spray they sell but I don't have high hopes of it working. I need help because we will have together rid of one if this doesn't stop, we can't afford it.

Try this:

Go to a local drug store, one that has lots of personal grooming products.
Get a *can* of *unscented* arosol Antipersperant.
Spray collars generously, Let dry. Spray again.
Put on dogs.
Watch as they taste the antipersperant. LOL!!!

What it does is instantly dry up the mucous membranes in the mouth. It also has a nasty flavor all on its own. Dogs hate it, and it doesn't hurt them. You just have to reapply regularly. it is also less expensive to get a large can of this, than to even get a small bottle of Bitter Apple. If this doens't work I have other things you can try. I have yet to see this NOT work though. Good luck
smile.png

My Mom has a no animals in the house policy. I know not ideal but it is what it is, we are outside people so we are out with them alot anyway. Besides I don't think we would have a house left the way they chew things up lol.
What kind of metal collar were you thinking of? We put collars on them for walks and stuff we just can't leave them on them. The only shock collarthat works with our fence is plastic so I can't do much about that design.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand? Is that a brand of collar or shock collar? I don't care about the normal collars just the expensive shock collars.

Woodlandwoman- They each get a milk jug/apple or orange juice jug/water bottle/etc almost every day and they have bones and tennis balls in their area. Any other toys are shredded. We try and give something new every day.

There is a spray on product called bitter apple, spray the collars really good... maybe the taste will deter the dogs from chewing the collars. You could also try a jalpanio pepper spray (just don't spray on the dog, you may get in their eyes).

Also make sure they have other toys to chew on, Kongs filled with milk bones or peanut butter, Nyla bones etc... ! Becareful with plastic jugs, peices could be eaten and cause blockages etc.

Last edited:
With the shock collars, why not brace them with steel? That way the dogs can't chew the fabric.

Instead of using the shock collars, is there a way that you could make the dog pen "escape proof"? Putting a roof (fencing) on the top of the run, putting railroad ties around the inside, metal sheeting on the outside?

I totally understand your frustration. Have raised 6 Labs, at the moment I have three, a 12 yr old, 2 yr old, and 1 1/2 year old. For the first couple of years they can be four legged buzz saws. The challenge is teaching them what they can chew on and what not to. Hang in there, it is just a phase. We were traveling cross country 25 years ago and stopped in Tombstone, Az, for some groceries. While we were shopping our first Lab, 5 months old, decided to sample the truck's dash wires. I went back in the store for tabasco sauce while my husband rewired. Next day we drove way back on a dirt road to rock hunt. We left the Lab in the truck for her safety but were very close by, in sight of the truck. What she managed to do in 15 minutes was amazing, the dash wire were pulled apart, tabasco sauce licked clean. We spent the rest of the day re-rewiring the truck. Tabasco has been a seasoning not a deterrent for my Labs. Bitter Apple spray helps, Bitter Apple paste works better. The vet carries squeeze tubes of YUK, works great, a bit spendy but cheaper than a $100 dog collar. I use regular fencing for my yard and inexpensive collars for the first 2 years while the pups are going through their chew phase. The dogs are also house dogs so at the first sign of collar chewing they get redirected to play with something else. If you do continue to kennel them outdoors at night you might try food filled kongs when they are closed in. Give the dogs something more interesting than each other's collars to chew on. It is great for the dogs to have each other for company and to exercise with. They are at the high energy stage of their lives. They are awesome dogs as they mature!

Back
Top Bottom