My Dove Family

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by petunias212, Apr 10, 2011.

1. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I got the parents off Craigslist for $20 for the pair. this was their first hatch. It was two eggs but one egg had a small crack and didn't develop so I took the other egg out and stuck it in the bator with the chicken eggs i was hatching. The day before hatch day I stuck it back underneath mom and both have been taking great care of this little one. the baby dove is exactly 15 days old today.

[​IMG]

This is the baby when it was first born.
    [​IMG]

Do dove parents normally groom their babies? I notice that the parents seem to pick through the baby's feathers - doesn't seem to be hurting it because it doesn't move away...

Is there any way to tell if it's a boy or a girl??

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can't tell the sex until they are old enough to start acting male or female unless you breed sex-linked colors (which you haven't). Why did you take the egg and hatch it yourself instead of allowing them to hatch it? I can't believe the baby is already leaving the nest at 15 days! My baby is almost 4 weeks old and just left the nest a few days ago!

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Aww!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    better double check your dates , that dove is alot older than 15 days. at least over 3 weeks.

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    when the parents are picking through the feather they are probably preemning the feathers

6. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    It hatched March 26th, a Saturday, so the day I posted it was actually, 16 days. I marked the date down on the calendar. Couldn't forget that date since my chicken eggs hatched the day before, on the 25th....so no, it's not over three weeks old.

Quote:

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    She isn't lying about the age. That looks about right for a 16 day old dove. I'm guessing the feathers under the wings were not opened up yet. They grow very quickly at first but they don't fully wean until 3-4 weeks old. The reason this one left the nest so early is because it is easy for it to. The nest is right there. But it is still going to get fed by the parents for a while.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Great Pictures ! [​IMG]

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    They are, as Elaine Benes of 'Seinfeld' would say, very "snuggly" babies at first, aren't they? Good thing they get better as they age.

I've got two right now that are 8 and 6 days old -- still pretty darned "snuggly!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by