My drake is laying eggs?

Whitepines

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Maryland
So, I have golden 300's. Despite them being sex linked, the drake was very difficult to sex, but he finally turned color on his head and started breeding the duck. Check that off. Well, two nights ago, my duck laid her first egg and there were two eggs. I was sure I somehow missed the first egg being laid even though I'd specifically looked for an egg the night before because she should have started laying two weeks ago. It happened again this morning. I even checked that area in the evening because I put in a nest box in hopes they'd keep the eggs cleaner. No eggs. This morning, two eggs. Has anyone else ever had a duck that got a green head that wasn't as vibrant as the other drakes' heads and mated ducks and still laid eggs?

Please post a picture of your “drake” if you can. He could be a she. Golden 300’s look like they have Khaki Campbell’s in them and my female Khakis had dark heads when they were young. In addition, my females often pretend mate with each other so unless you actually see male genitalia during mating that does not mean you have a male. I suppose it is possible your girl is laying two eggs. I have never had this but others have said they have.

Are there any other birds, of any species, in that pen? (Just in case it's a chicken egg, a turkey egg, an egg from a different breed of duck...)

You could put them one in a different pen tonight, and look tomorrow to see which pens have how many eggs. That would tell you for sure which one is doing it.

He/she is difficult to photograph. I thought for months it was a duck and then it acted so drakey and chased the other guys away and bred Puddleduck. I wouldn't care too much, but I was trying to keep a pair of Golden 300s and sold the other drakes because these two acted so inseparable.
IMG_5987[1].JPG IMG_5988[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5983[1].JPG
    IMG_5983[1].JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 19
Are there any other birds, of any species, in that pen? (Just in case it's a chicken egg, a turkey egg, an egg from a different breed of duck...)

You could put them one in a different pen tonight, and look tomorrow to see which pens have how many eggs. That would tell you for sure which one is doing it.
No, just ducks. I separate all the species.

I have Perkins and Mallards and every time we change their water we witneess a duck orgy. The female Perkins all mount each other while Doofus the Drake stands outside the pool and watches. I don't think Doofus has ever successfully bred.

Back
Top Bottom