My Drake needs a friend.

xlaraleex

Hatching
Feb 23, 2017
Last spring we gave in to the years of desire and got ourselves 2 ducklings from Tractor Supply. We ended up with one male and one female (khaki campbells) and they were inseparable. We also have 2 chickens which we keep at our place on the lake most of the year but bring home for winter. Last month, our female duck died unexpectedly. Luckily our Drake and chickens have been getting along alright, but in a couple of weeks the chickens will be going back to the lake for the warmer seasons so our duck will be alone.
So I wanted to get 2 more ducklings to be his new companions. The problem is, tractor supply doesn't sex their ducklings (and I can't afford to spend $50 right now on two ducklings from an online breeder who does..) so, if I get ducklings from TSC, how can I ensure I won't end up with ducks that won't get along with my current Drake? Can I sex them in the store before I buy them? Will an employee sex them for me if I ask? What's the best option for companions, should I look for 2 females or 2 other males? I'm still relatively new at this duck thing, so I could really use some advice! Thanks!

Last spring we gave in to the years of desire and got ourselves 2 ducklings from Tractor Supply. We ended up with one male and one female (khaki campbells) and they were inseparable. We also have 2 chickens which we keep at our place on the lake most of the year but bring home for winter. Last month, our female duck died unexpectedly. Luckily our Drake and chickens have been getting along alright, but in a couple of weeks the chickens will be going back to the lake for the warmer seasons so our duck will be alone.
So I wanted to get 2 more ducklings to be his new companions. The problem is, tractor supply doesn't sex their ducklings (and I can't afford to spend $50 right now on two ducklings from an online breeder who does..) so, if I get ducklings from TSC, how can I ensure I won't end up with ducks that won't get along with my current Drake? Can I sex them in the store before I buy them? Will an employee sex them for me if I ask? What's the best option for companions, should I look for 2 females or 2 other males? I'm still relatively new at this duck thing, so I could really use some advice! Thanks!
There is no way to sex at that age really except vent sexing which should only be done by experts, and which would be useless to you since I am sure tsc wouldn't let you do so (if you were an expert) before you bought them. I would look on craigslist for full grown ducks, or metzer farms has a two minimum order and will sex, but then they are about $8 each... Idealpoultry.com sells sexed ducklings for about $6, but you have a $25 minumum order, and will usually add male chicks to the box (for free) to keep the ducklings warm. You could do that, and sell the chicks and other ducklings, if you wanted... Hope this helps!

Wait. Do you have the drake with the chicken hens? Make certain he doesn't mate with them! If he does they could die!

Metzer charges an extra $33 for a small order and with the shipping, ducks, and extra fee it's over $50, which I can't bring myself to spend for 2 ducklings right now.. in my area it would be really hard finding someone to take the other ducks, that's why I was hoping to be able to sex them before buying. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Usually they just scoop up however many you want and put them in the box..I do have a family friend who is a vet and could probably vent sex them for me if TSC did allow us to check..

Wait. Do you have the drake with the chicken hens? Make certain he doesn't mate with them! If he does they could die!

No, he doesn't mate with them. We were very careful when introducing them to make sure everyone was safe. They all free range together, and the duck just sort of hangs nearby but doesn't get too close. The chickens are bossy won't stand for any fowl behavior ;) They made good companions in the meantime, but we really want to get him some duck friends..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom