My duck doesn't keep up with the others anymore

Beau Claverie

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm a little concerned for my duck. She's a black Swedish about 2 and a half months old. She has had a buddy since birth that is a buff. We also have 3 others that were not there since birth but they she still sticks together with. But the last several days she has been falling back and not participating with any of the others from time to time, even her best friend. It seems to come and go... sometimes she is with the crew and sometimes she kinda zones out and sorta forgets where she is. Eventually she snaps out of it and catches up.

Another funny thing she does is she consistently wakes herself up with loud quacks out of nowhere, both when awake and when sleeping.

She eats and drinks and quacks and likes to be pet. Nothing else seems wrong, but I wonder if she might be ill. I know chickens tend to fall back when they aren't feeling well. Any ideas? Here is a picture, if you look closely you'll see the huge gap between the black duck and the rest.

Attachments

• 20170826_104429.jpg
    20170826_104429.jpg
    964.2 KB · Views: 5
I can only think of one thing she may need and that is niacin, most water fowl need it to have healthy legs and brains. If we feed chick starter which most of us use there isn't enough niacin in it to supplement what they need, and it's an easy fix if that is what it is so pick up some Nutritional or Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] and begin them all on 1 Tab per cup of feed you should begin to notice improvement if it's nutritional with in a week. It could be something else but the fact she is still eating and drinking fine I'm thinking she isn't sick but niacin def can eventually kill them.

I can only think of one thing she may need and that is niacin, most water fowl need it to have healthy legs and brains. If we feed chick starter which most of us use there isn't enough niacin in it to supplement what they need, and it's an easy fix if that is what it is so pick up some Nutritional or Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] and begin them all on 1 Tab per cup of feed you should begin to notice improvement if it's nutritional with in a week. It could be something else but the fact she is still eating and drinking fine I'm thinking she isn't sick but niacin def can eventually kill them.
Interesting I didn't know about that. Thank you for the info we'll see if that's the problem!

Back
Top Bottom